Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Speakers!
Re: you wanted the short reply? too bad! [message #41811 is a reply to message #41809] Sun, 06 July 2003 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Adrian,
"Period" I guess it's a US thing, but it is an exagerration for emphasis that signifies there is nothing else to be said on the matter. The final word.

I agree that the 15W1200 looks good, and it also has that great behavior in the crossover region like the Omega. As a midbass driver the smaller X-max is not much of an issue. According to box plot this thing will take more than its rated power without the voice coil ever leaving the gap, as long as you cross above 50Hz. Looks really good!

As far as 3dB down at 85Hz goes, your using that big sweaty sub with these aren't you. If so, Where are you crossing over? Besides room gain has usually started to kick in around 85 Hz. I think you could use either. That damn Omega is a charmer though. If you could get it for what we pay in the US, it would be a real winner. Is the price you listed for Omega 15 the price for one? If I've got my $AUD right thats almost double what we pay here. OUCH!

Anyway, I think you have it narrowed down to where you can't really do bad either way.

Later,
Thomas

Re: Design choices [message #41812 is a reply to message #41805] Sun, 06 July 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Wayne,

Seems like I've narrowed down my choices pretty well now. I was just wondering why you didn't choose to use a PiAlignment for the Theater series? (havn't checked out the rest). I just did a quick check of the internal box volume used and it just seems to be very different. Is there any reason for this? The PiAligned Delta 15 and the box used on the Theater series didn't have much change in the transfer function between each other, but its quite a difference in box size though.

Thanks!
Adrian

Re: Design choices [message #41813 is a reply to message #41812] Sun, 06 July 2003 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Theater four π speaker cabinet was designed about ten years ago, and used a different version of the Delta 15. I noticed it had changed - and has since changed a couple more times - But box tuning was still appropriate for the (then and now) current Delta 15. In fact, I believe one of the older Delta 15 specs are what is in the PiAlign "DAT" file.

Re: you wanted the short reply? too bad! [message #41814 is a reply to message #41809] Sun, 06 July 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Theater Series four π speaker will exceed 120dB/M at maximum power from 100Hz up. If you're using them for maximum output like this, you will probably employ a subwoofer below 100Hz, so I think that's pretty good for this class of speaker and particularly for its cost.

Wayne

Re: you wanted the short reply? too bad! [message #41818 is a reply to message #41814] Sun, 06 July 2003 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I agree Wayne. I actually did some modelling just then with a highpass filter at 100Hz on the Delta 15, and it still had a -3db point of 80Hz or so, and also high output about 118db along its passband within its excursion. So thats not bad at all :-)
Re: you wanted the short reply? too bad! [message #41820 is a reply to message #41818] Sun, 06 July 2003 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's pretty cool, but I think the SPL figure is still a little bit low. Maybe the difference is because you've modeled with a lower cutoff, allowing more subwoofer energies to be presented to the speaker.
Re: you wanted the short reply? too bad! [message #41823 is a reply to message #41811] Mon, 07 July 2003 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

One last thing, you mentioned that the Delta 15 is still nice and flat in the crossover area. On the graph from Eminence, it actually shows greatly rising response from about ~650Hz and up, are you sure the Delta sounds fine in its crossover area?

Yea, its gonna be used with the 18LW1400 sub :-)

Thanks!
Adrian

Re: you wanted the short reply? too bad! [message #41824 is a reply to message #41823] Mon, 07 July 2003 03:09 Go to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
I said they sound great all the way up to crossover. There is a little bump about 850 Hz, but the crossover actually brings down all that rising response better than you might expect from the look of the graph. Anyway, You can always cross lower since your compression drivers go down to 1K. Maybe it is the room, or the fact that they are set up in a system with crossover and another driver, but they sound and measure real good in my house. (warning! home measurements! I do not own a high quality meter, but I did calibrate my crappy meter using a good one) The deltas behave better in the real world than they do on paper in my opinion. I do not really know how loud they go at full power, but they are dance club loud with 125 watts pushing them.

with that big sub I must admit I wonder why you want such a full range big box main speaker, but if you are contemplating running your mains without the sub sometimes, or you just want to have the option, the Delta would be a good choice. If you will always use the sub then you still have to think about the JBL route too (asuming a good recone job). Way smaller box and from what people say they are super clean and dynamic. I know, I am no help, but the choice is yours alone.

Thomas

Previous Topic: Tractrix Horn Loading
Next Topic: The Final Decision
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 01:53:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers