Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Speakers!
Pi Speakers! [message #41800] Sat, 05 July 2003 03:34 Go to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Wayne,

I am now interested in the bass reflex Pi Speakers. I had originally intended to go with my other design, which was actually pretty good, but it costs heaps for what it does. So at the moment I have two JBL 2370A horns and P.Audio PA-D45 compression drivers on them sitting around. I think using them in a Pi Speaker would be very nice :-). The Eminence stuff doesn't cost too much here at all in Australia, so getting an Eminence woofer seems good. Very low distortion and linear response is important to me. I can actually get some JBL 2225 baskets and then recone them with some aftermarket recone kits and it will cost about AU$580 including postage costs for a pair. A pair of new Eminence Delta 15's would be a little less than that, but not by much. Do you think the 2225 will have lower distortion than say, Eminence Delta or Omega series? Which would you reccomend?

I dont want a box massivly large either - actually, I would prefer a tower. This is of course for HiFi use - which out of the Studio, Thermionic, and Theater series would you reccomend?

The Pi Speakers website states 126db maximum SPL for the Theater series 4pi bass reflex using the 15" motor. At this 126db level (very very loud of course!) how are the distortion levels like?

Dont want to go any of the Pi Horn designs - way to big :P.

Whats the external dimensions on the Theater 4pi? I hope its not TOO big! (as you see I've heard a lot of stuff about Pi Speakers sounding very nice, but are massive!).

I realize the bass reflex pi speakers dont use high freq horns.... but I assume they can be used in them anyway with a different crossover (Have not actually built my 1KHz crossover yet, because I planned to build the enclosures first). What sorta crossover would you reccomend then for this setup?

*Gets excited about Pi's*

Thanks!
Adrian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message