Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Karlson/Pi speaker????????????????? and other musings!!!
Karlson/Pi speaker????????????????? and other musings!!! [message #41548] Thu, 05 June 2003 13:57 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
I've seen your posts on other forums discussing Karlson cabinet/speaker systems. I know you would not get into them right now, but might be a future possibility. I have a pair of Karlson 15's and and a pair of 1958 Popular Mechanic's design in my posession. I have to get some data to Freddy I. on the the other forum, but since you have expressed interest in the "Karlson" design, maybe you could elaborate for us here in the Pi forum. I think there are quite a few who might use them with either Altec/JBL/Martinelli horns for top end.

By the way, I love my Martinelli horns for "wide" dispersion, and the Edgarhorns for narrow "soundstage". One of these days I will have to bring a pair of 811B/511B horns back out and compare again. Someday, I just might put a finish on those 4 horns since they are running just the way I bought them.

TillE, I remember you when 3.5 watts was plenty, now you are power hungry with your "Ella". I wonder how long before you discover "push-pull/parallel" 6550's to really blow out the windows where you live :-)

Regards, Ron

Re: Karlson/Pi speaker????????????????? and other musings!!! [message #41549 is a reply to message #41548] Thu, 05 June 2003 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You may have noticed in my previous discussions with with Fred Ireson that I consider the Karlson to be a bandpass box with a wide passband. George Duemm made some of 'em and they sure looked retro and cool!

Re: Karlson/Pi speaker????????????????? and other musings!!! [message #41550 is a reply to message #41549] Thu, 05 June 2003 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
here is my karlson experiment. too much bass and missing mids. i will try a coax driver in the future. thanks to bmar for the beautiful cabinets and the horns. these are very expensive lamp stands right now, but i know i can get them to sound good. they were originally designed for a coax, which i will be implementing soon. they look too cool to give up on. if i did not own a pair of pi's perhaps i'd be happy. wayne has spoiled me.

cheers,

george

Re: Karlson/Pi speaker????????????????? and other musings!!! [message #41551 is a reply to message #41550] Fri, 06 June 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Replay,
The Delta 15a will quite happily run up to the 1.6k crossover. My K15 variant ('54 box/shelf w/curved reflector from X15) uses the components straight out of the Theater 4s and blends very well.
Just a thought!
John
Re: Karlson/Pi speaker????????????????? and other musings!!! [message #41601 is a reply to message #41551] Fri, 13 June 2003 01:18 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't think George is dissatisfied with the Kilomax 15, or with the quality of its bass and midrange. I say this because he is such a big proponent of Premium Stage Series four π loudspeakers, which use the Kilomax 15. Then again, I agree with you that the Delta 15 generates more midrange content than the Kilomax 15 from the same input signal. That might make it better suited for Karlson cabinets; Probably makes pretty good acoustic EQ for high-efficiency midwoofers.

Previous Topic: Pi alignment for a stage monitor
Next Topic: JBL 2226
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 17:24:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout