Home » Audio » General » Lone Star Audio Fest Request
Lone Star Audio Fest Request [message #4140] Mon, 26 March 2007 19:05 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I was wondering if anyone has an EL34 PP or and EL34 SE they could bring to LSAF for me to listen to, integrated if possible? It's a big request I know, but I've got several sets of EL34's around and have been curious how they sound in an audio amp. I was going to have an EL34 SE at one time, but UPS decided to see how hard they could throw it down for me (huh, Wayne ). If possible I'd like to hear it on the ART Array's that Fred might be bringing. Course I'd have to clear it with him first, but he's a pretty nice guy.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Request [message #4144 is a reply to message #4140] Mon, 26 March 2007 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If it turns out nobody is planning to bring an EL34 amp, you might contact Frank Stupple and see if he might send one of those amps like the one you bought from him last time. It would be free publicity for him, so maybe he would be interested. If UPS treats it like they did your last one, that would be a drag. But insurance covered it, so there is really very litle risk for FSAudio. The exposure would probably be good for him. Might be worth a phone call.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Request [message #4145 is a reply to message #4144] Tue, 27 March 2007 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
A UPS driver told me that UPS has big sorting warehouses with conveyer belts up to twenty-five feet off the ground. If something gets jammed up, packages start pouring off the sides. Shoop, shoop shoop... whistling sound, whistling sound, whistling sound... WHAM WHAM WHAM.

Fed Ex Ground for instance has no such high-tech sorting warehouses, so they don't have the opportunity to drop things quite as hard.

Guess which company I don't use.

Duke

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Request [message #4146 is a reply to message #4140] Tue, 27 March 2007 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
So who's spreading this rumor that I'm a nice guy? I'll bring the Ella amp with a set of EL34's installed. An EL34 amp is a good match for the ART arrays because it has enough reserve power, even in triode mode with the typical 20 watts output, to take advantage of their dynamic capabilities.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Request [message #4147 is a reply to message #4145] Tue, 27 March 2007 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
In my experiece, both UPS and FedEX are all too happy to smash stuff, or leave very valuable, highly insured pkgs on doorstops without signatures and then try avoid paying when said pkgs get stolen.

Guess why I'm no longer involved in distribution? (Hint: no one has figured out how to permanently lose or destroy my text or photographs yet.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Request [message #4148 is a reply to message #4146] Tue, 27 March 2007 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Fred! I'm looking forward to hearing the Ella. I've seen them for quite some time on the net, but never heard one, and figured an EL34 amp would be a good match power-wise for the ART arrays.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Request [message #4149 is a reply to message #4148] Tue, 27 March 2007 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very cool. I don't know why, but I forgot about that one. Fred had it at GPAF '05 and it's a beautiful amp, aesthetically and acoustically. I think you're gonna like that combination.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Request [message #4150 is a reply to message #4147] Tue, 27 March 2007 10:30 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I haven't made a count, but I'd say I lose about 2% of my shipments to damage. For every fifty packages or so, one of them get's pummeled. Never had one lost though.

Previous Topic: Anybody know where I can get some VLSI chips replaced?
Next Topic: Review of the i84 amp by Vista Audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 18:16:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout