Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Damping 511B ringing: Whats your experience?
Re: Damping 511B ringing: Whats your experience? [message #41255 is a reply to message #41227] Wed, 07 May 2003 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tdc is currently offline  tdc
Baron
Just to share what I did with 811b which does not ring quite like a 511. I cut the fins and filled the gaps with hard rubber cut from a tire. Poly cord and steel belts sound the same. Be sure to use radial tires with all radial horns. Then I sprayed the outside of the horn with automoble sound damping material. This comes in a spray can and is like undercoating. That looks bad but the next step takes care of that. Then I built a box to hold the horn with a heavy wood face plate. Use all the mounting holes to screw the horn face to the wood ( use t nuts) and clamp it tight. You can also a a washer made from an inner tube.That is the most help. A bell rings from the edge. Bolt it to a wooden plank and you get a dull thud.The box also serves a small baffle which allows you to cross over closer to the horns bottom line. I use 850 hz 12db with the 811b but will try both 1000 and 1200 later. Problem is the woofer starts to break up a little above 500 but is not bad a 800. At full range about 1600hz it is a bit rough. I also use JBL 2345 and 2370 horns. They need none of the above treatments. tdc

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Where can I Buy some nice BIG CD horns???
Next Topic: MAF photos
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 19:42:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout