Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » HF Horn-Woofer phase at crossover
Re: Thanks! [message #41190 is a reply to message #41181] Thu, 01 May 2003 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Thanks to all who responded. Plenty of leads to follow. I have a copy of the Crossover doc which I have found to be a great source of ideas. Of course, this is a 'problem' endemic to all multiway speakers, except perhaps the Tannoy type coax's. I understand that there will always be some phase cancellation until the perfect brick wall filter is developed. However, I have heard many multiway speakers with 1st and 2nd order networks that sounded enjoyable and musically involving, so I am confident that this combination of drivers can be made to sing.

I have not seen or been able to locate Altec (tech note?) AN-9. I did find a suggestion, in an un-numbered tech booklet on the Lansing Heritage site, to try reversing the leads on the drivers (i.e., wire the tweeters in phase with the woofers). I tried this tonight and knew at once that that was not the solution in my case! Sam emailed a picture of a sliding horn assembly using common drawer slides. This will have to be tried!

The sound quality with the horns projecting just off the front edge is really quite good. Just a little thin in the mids and thrown in contrast by the metallic ringing from the 511b horns. I am currently researching solutions to that problem. Good possibilities include destressing by cutting through the fins, surrounding the horns with sand, and damping with adhesive backed damping material like Black Hole 5 or VE-1. Also, the low pass crossover values are those of Hiraga (I am using 515b's) which were developed for the front loaded horn commonly used with these components. I may revert to classic 2nd order values with a Zobel. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for your help.
Regards,
AstroSonic

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: "B" sides
Next Topic: Theater 4 Pi + .5mh in woofer circuit... Wayne ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 15:23:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio