Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi design and wooden horns(Edgar & Martinelli)
Re: Pi design and wooden horns (Edgar & Martinelli) [message #41104 is a reply to message #41096] Mon, 21 April 2003 09:35 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you about Altec horns in many ways. Measurements show them to be extremely flat on-axis, and they sound good too. They are physically large, so they can be crossed over low. And they distribute energy with greater dispersion side-to-side, which keeps from wasting energy on the ceiling or the floor. They're a great horn for a large two-way loudspeaker, in my opinion.

The only problem is their collapsing directivity. I don't mind it so much in the vertical plane, but would prefer constant directivity in the horizontal plane. An interesting read is the AES paper called "Improvements in Monitor Loudspeaker Systems," written by David Smith, Don Keele and John Eargle. The paper talks about this kind of design using a CD horn, and discusses the crossover region, directivity issues and other important features of a large two-way loudspeaker.

Previous Topic: Motor subenclosure baffle cutout on 10Pi
Next Topic: 1Pi problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 08:30:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout