Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pictures (hopefully) of 2 Pi
such nice words for a one trick pony... [message #41057 is a reply to message #41038] Fri, 18 April 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bubbawat is currently offline  Bubbawat
Chancellor
Pretty easy to make the grilles - the cabinet and finish were much more of an 'attention to details' Excedrine headache number 2 Pi. As to the grilles...

My wife (the artist in the family) is into transforming her photographs into three dimensional work. An award winning B&W photo of hers that was a close up of our old Victrola grille was her inspiration. Klipsch Heresy provided the grille mechanics (yes - pure plagerism). Here goes - I used 1/8th inch hardboard, cut holes for speakers and ports, painted black and covered with leftover RatShack grille cloth (my traditional hot glue application). The carved wood pieces come from a hardwood specialty store - you can find them online as well - and are pretty common in higher end cabinet construction. They are pricey, but keeps me from having to become a sculptor (hell, I struggle with a straight cut on the table saw). Stain, seal then glue carved stuff - regular old titebond then lie face down on towel with consistent weight on the board to keep it flat - it adheres to hardboard through grille cloth. Use Velcro on baffle and hardboard.

Using this technique - if we tire of the design, just get some more hardboard and make more. Geez - how about a shamrock design for march, Easter egg for April, heart for February, etc. How ignorant can one get? (Don't ask that of my wife - she'll have thirty minutes of answers about her extraordinarily good looking husband ;-)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Pi7 / 18 plans
Next Topic: cornerhorn Qs
Goto Forum: