Home » Audio » General » Lone Star Bottleheads - Dallas, March 3rd
Lone Star Bottleheads - Dallas, March 3rd [message #4101] Tue, 20 February 2007 07:29 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Lone Star Bottleheads will meet at Bob Spence's house in Plano from Noon to five on Saturday, March 3rd. One highlight of this meeting will be Bob's MaxxHorn Immersion Loudspeakers. Bob has asked that all who plan to attend email him to let him know how many are coming and what we're bringing to the meeting. Meeting information, our discussion forum, and pictures from past meetings can be seen at our web site. Bob's email address can be found in the "Meetings" section of the forum.

We meet in the Dallas area only once or twice a year, so this meeting is a great opportunity for Texas Panhandlers and Oakies to join us. First-time visitors are especially welcome at our meetings.

Pictures Are On Line [message #4107 is a reply to message #4101] Sun, 04 March 2007 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Pictures from the meeting can be seen at the link below.

Wiesner Amp [message #4114 is a reply to message #4107] Tue, 06 March 2007 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That Wiesner amp looks like a pretty beefy SET amp. Can you tell me more about it?

Re: Wiesner Amp [message #4117 is a reply to message #4114] Thu, 08 March 2007 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sorry, I don't remember anything about it other than it offers the choice of a "50" or a "300B" output tube and sounded really good with the "50" tube in place.

But did you notice that little "Sound Creative" amp Russ brought to the meeting. It's a 10 watt/ch SET using Sovtek KT88 output tubes, and it sells for $299 on Ebay! How can they sell a tube amp for $299? From what Russ said the seller bought a pallet of them and has about 20 left. Of course there's a greater risk of a no-name $299 tube amp dying prematurely, but if that happens you've only lost $299, less than most of my Houston Audio Society friends spend on a pair of interconnects. I ordered one just for fun and probably will bring it to the LSAF.

Go to Consumer Electronics, then Amplifiers, and do a search for "KT88" to find it.

Sound Creative SET amp [message #4119 is a reply to message #4117] Thu, 08 March 2007 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! Three hundred bucks! That's incredible. I definitely will pick one of those up, just to check and see how it sounds. Thanks for pointing it out!

Re: Sound Creative SET amp [message #4120 is a reply to message #4119] Thu, 08 March 2007 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I suspect they meant to name it the "Creative Sound" amp, but as is often the case in Chinese to English translations, the translator got confused. My favorite example of this is a tube preamp I once bought on Audiogon from a Hong Kong seller for a grand total of $320 including air freight. It's an "Audio Experience" MKII. I noticed a piece of black electrical tape on the back panel, which was covering the words "Audio Experiment":) Turns out it's not a bad preamp at all. It's point-to-point wired, which made it very easy to upgrade all the resistors and caps in the signal path and put bypass caps and a choke in the power supply.

Re: Sound Creative SET amp [message #4121 is a reply to message #4120] Thu, 08 March 2007 15:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

"Audio Experiment", that's a gas! Brings to mind the Donkey Kong video game. Some say it was a mistranslation of "stubborn gorilla". Some say it was a mispelling of "monkey kong", by misheard phone conversation or blurred fax. But whatever it was, it was a weird name.

Good thing they weren't working with Dan Schmalle; I can imagine the creative names that might come from an overseas marketing department of Bottlehead amps.

"Buy the new Sing-Song Girl amp, she thrill you with her beauty sound..."    

Previous Topic: Lone Star Audio Fest
Next Topic: Houston Audio Society
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 04 17:22:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout