Home » Audio » General » Off topic: I have my own theme song now
Off topic: I have my own theme song now [message #4097] Sat, 17 February 2007 20:53 Go to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Everybody should have a theme song. What's yours?

What it actually is [message #4098 is a reply to message #4097] Sun, 18 February 2007 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Duke,
That is a video of a popular punjabi sikh (BTW sikhs ar not muslims, it's a completely different religion) singer called Daler Mehndi.
He is extremely popular singing bhangra style folk music. Some of the readers on here (esp. the ones in Britain & India) may know how popular bhangra style dance music has become in the nightclubs of Britain & of course INdia, over the last 10 years.

I like Daler...most of his songs are good, catchy folk songs set to a dance beat. He is amazingly popular at Indian parties.
BTW, the language he is singing in is, of course, Punjabi, which is one of the 22 main state languages of India (I can speak & understand it).

The translation in the video is amusing, but unfortunately has nothng to do with the actual words (for example the word "duke" does not occur anywhere in the song).

I like youtube: really gives us the opportunity to experience videos of different cultures.
-akhilesh

here is another cool Daler Video [message #4099 is a reply to message #4098] Sun, 18 February 2007 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGlMWqbnuU4

This song is very popular.
It's INdians singing about how much they love India & will protect it (Bharat is the hindi name for India).
BTW, in INdia, most people are hindus (about 80%), some readers may not know that. IT is also called Hindustan.
-akhilesh

Re: What it actually is [message #4100 is a reply to message #4098] Sun, 18 February 2007 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
I thought the singer was Sikh, but didn't know for sure. I had a doctor who was Sikh once, he was very good.

Yeah I figured the subtitles had nothing at all to do with the song (well, except maybe for "Da Da Da", which may not need translating). But you're right about the catchy tune - I had it running through my head all night last night! Hey this is much better than my previous theme song, "Duke of Earl".

When I close my eyes it sounds like he's saying "Tuke" instead of "Duke", but with the visual prompt from the subtitle it does sound like Duke at first.

I was in France one time and these little kids would come up to us and say "boite a musique?" and it would sound to us like they were saying "what time is it?". Instead they were saying "music box", and they'd bust out laughing when we looked at our watches. I bet Daler would get a kick out of what it sounds to us like he's saying!

Duke

Re: Off topic: I have my own theme song now [message #4186 is a reply to message #4097] Fri, 13 April 2007 14:00 Go to previous message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Oh my goodness you actually have a theme song, lol. Thats kind of cute if you ask me. so tell me what other things do you work on as far as music is concerned?

Previous Topic: Why do my headphones hiss?
Next Topic: LSAF Cut Off Date - April 20th, 2007
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 09:20:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout