Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tell me everything about the 4 pi bass reflex Theater Series.
Tell me everything about the 4 pi bass reflex Theater Series. [message #40917] Wed, 09 April 2003 16:04 Go to next message
kenratboy is currently offline  kenratboy
Esquire
I am interested in the speaker, and no offence to the pi speaker web site, but it doesn't tell me $#!t about the speaker.

I would love to see some pictures of the speaker and have someone tell me what they think about it. Questions:

-Is the broken down (to be assembled) cabinet included?
-Does the speaker use 5-way binding posts?
-Would be be hard to get it finished in black?

Thanks for the help! I am really considering going with a pair, but I need to learn about them.

Kenneth.

Re: Tell me everything about the 4 pi bass reflex Theater Series. [message #40918 is a reply to message #40917] Wed, 09 April 2003 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
I think this site answers more questions than a lot of other sites. You just need to find your way around.

If you still can't find out what you want you will find that Wayne Parham is probably the most helpful guy that you will find.

You will also find out as much or more from those whom have built or purchase the Theater 4's... do a search and you will get educated.

answers [message #40919 is a reply to message #40917] Wed, 09 April 2003 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
cabinets FINISHED are available, the price listed is for EACH complete SINGLE speaker (or kit to build ONE). Kits DO NOT include cabinet, but do include the drivers, internal wiring harness, the crossover as applicable. and the binding post cup.
The "PI spec" binding post set is PE # 260-309, requiring a rectangular cutout. Personally I use the PE # 260-311 cause it mounts in a round 3" hole saw cutout, very quck and neat. The knurling is "cosmetic only", the surface takes a good grip to tighten the posts, btw.
If you buy finished speakers, Wayne's cabinet maker probably can do whatever finish you want. Most 4 Pi Theater owners I've seen here were DIY, and some awesome ones at that. Building them yourself is the best way to go, lot's of help here if you go that route.
Most of the Pi guys are going to be in Lima for the weekend, don't feel ignored if nobody is hanging around here for the next few days. Sam

hey, I think the above is correct, but don't whine if I am wrong :)

Re: Tell me everything about the 4 pi bass reflex Theater Series. [message #40920 is a reply to message #40917] Wed, 09 April 2003 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gonefishin is currently offline  gonefishin
Baron
This Pi board has to be one of the more helpful boards on Al Gore's internet!

seriously tho...all you have to do is either search the archives...watch and read others threads...or ask a question. This Pi group is almost always quick to respond...and this includes Wayne (who seems to be online almos the entire day...hmmm...get some sleep!)

I am not a Pi owner...but I have still learned a bunch from these guys. They are always willing to help a person out. Thanks!

enjoy the music!

Re: Tell me everything about the 4 pi bass reflex Theater Series. [message #40927 is a reply to message #40917] Wed, 09 April 2003 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Kits include the speaker drivers, the connector panel, hook up wires, "π" logo decal and a printed copy of the plans. For larger speakers that incorporate a compression tweeter and crossover network, kits also include the crossover, tweeter compensation cable assembly, Zobel woofer damper, and all cable assemblies are completed and ready to install. Every kit containing a compression driver also includes the horn flare and the bolts to mount the driver to the horn.

How much would a black finish cost? [message #40929 is a reply to message #40927] Thu, 10 April 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
As in, maybe the standard oak finish, but instead of being finished in a "woody" color, being finished in a black stain (or paint, or whayever you use) so that the grain would show and not look fake and cheap.

I would hope it would be as simple as it would seem to me.

Some of the custom jobs are AWESOME on those Pi's.

It's either some Klipsch RF-3's or these, still thinking.

With proper amplification, how many dB's do you think I would get in a 13' X 13'6 X 9' room?

Re: DB's [message #40936 is a reply to message #40929] Fri, 11 April 2003 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rider is currently offline  Rider
Baron
Hi Kenratboy (interesting, I'm sure there's a story here)

With a 13 x 13 room and Pi 4's the question isn't going to be the number of db's. With very little amplification you won't be staying in the room. These speakers are HIGH EFFICIENCY so it doesn't take a lot of watts to fill a room at all.

The different components used (eg. can use Emminence, JBL, or figure your own out) tends to be related to quality, not volume so much. With the JBL components in PI 4's, or high end Emminence these are officially loud, and great sounding.

The adventure begins. Good luck.

Grant.

Re: How much would a black finish cost? [message #40941 is a reply to message #40929] Fri, 11 April 2003 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll find out about a black laquer version of the cabinets.

Sounds good to me... [message #40946 is a reply to message #40941] Sat, 12 April 2003 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
...and I would love to hear a price for the finish.
Re: Sounds good to me... [message #40950 is a reply to message #40946] Sat, 12 April 2003 23:35 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll send an E-Mail to you after I talk with the cabinetmaker.

Previous Topic: how's the "room"
Next Topic: Yeah, I finally made it home too :-)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 14:31:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio