Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Raw, Stark and unrefined... more of the same
Raw, Stark and unrefined... more of the same [message #40811] Wed, 02 April 2003 17:15 Go to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

This is non glamour shot of a 7 Pi that just got finished up. It's a little more than your average 7 Pi. It has a JBL 18" in the corner horn, a JBL 10" (stark) on the front, and still a third JBL compression driver for the top horn. The sound is really amazing. The cabinet is finished with Chilean Laurel burl with Satin wood surrounding the 4 piece burl matches. The trimmings are walnut as for the rear corner portions. The horns for the top of these are walnut. The maple one is just for the picture. They do indeed sound great.

Bill

Re: Raw, Stark and unrefined... more of the same [message #40813 is a reply to message #40811] Wed, 02 April 2003 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michaelz is currently offline  Michaelz
Chancellor
Very nice, Bill!

Which 10" is it, and how are the frequence bands divided?

Re: Raw, Stark and unrefined... more of the same [message #40815 is a reply to message #40811] Wed, 02 April 2003 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
HA! My room is right above yours......................looks like a party in the making! Better get a different room for your spouse to hang out in..............har!
If you don't want to bother hauling them home..................
MBB

Absolutely stunning! [message #40816 is a reply to message #40811] Wed, 02 April 2003 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Ken's "Audiophile Series seven π's" are favorites of mine too. The best sounding speakers I've ever heard were three-way seven π's like those.

I had hoped Ken might be willing to come and bring his sevens to the Midwest Audiofest. They're pretty hard to beat. And from the looks of those cabinets, I'm pretty sure they peak the drool-O-meter for great looks too.

Absolutely stunning work, Bill!

Wayne

Audiophile series seven π-18 [message #40817 is a reply to message #40813] Wed, 02 April 2003 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The speakers use a JBL 2245, 2123 and a 2426. Crossover points at 250Hz and 1.6kHz. I've got plans for the cabinets and stock the crossovers if you're interested.
Re: Raw, Stark and unrefined... more of the same [message #40818 is a reply to message #40815] Wed, 02 April 2003 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Sorry to say these babies will be in San Francisco by MAF. besides the two of these things will fill my suburban and have no room for clothes! or snacks, or cooler. Wayne's is going to have some other great 7 pi speakers in his room.

see you there for the party

Re: Absolutely stunning! [message #40819 is a reply to message #40816] Wed, 02 April 2003 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks, You have a winning combination with this setup. The bass that pours out of these is nothing short of a heart throb. That reminds, I better play "dark side" and listen to the 25hz heart beat
The midrange is dynamic and since its a cone right next to the horn the integration of the two horns is right on. Cone driven midbass is a great combination with upper and lower horns. Great design, Ken will be quite pleased.

Bill

Re: Question for Wayne [message #40820 is a reply to message #40817] Wed, 02 April 2003 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Hello Wayne, may I ask what are the drawbacks to this design compared to the other 7Pi corner speakers? I like the idea of the midrange frequencies coming straight at you, but since I have heard neither I thought I would ask. I guess the extra crossover point would be considered by many to be a drawback.

I am still trying to choose between the Theater 4's and the 7 corner. I may have an interest in the 3-way corner.

Answer [message #40821 is a reply to message #40820] Wed, 02 April 2003 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This model is more complex and expensive. The biggest advantages are that the woofer doesn't have to serve as a midrange driver and that the walls don't have to act as reflectors in the midrange band. This is a shift back to the original design, as it was prior to 2000 when the two-way version was introduced.

nice job as usual! [message #40822 is a reply to message #40819] Wed, 02 April 2003 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
bill, maybe i should build a pair. how much better than my 4 pi's? could this be the mother of all horns?

george

Previous Topic: Sub enclosure for 10" mid within bass cab.? Bmar? Wayne?
Next Topic: design plan for a tractrix horn using electrovoice EVM12L driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 09 04:40:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout