Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » For those of you who are audio veterans, this is for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For those of you who are audio veterans, this is for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! [message #40562] Thu, 06 March 2003 17:20 Go to next message
Don17 is currently offline  Don17
Chancellor
Hello Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are you doing??
Today I stumbled across what appears to be a power amp ( an old one too!) It's built by a company located in Santa Ana California by the name of "Sound craftsmen". The model number is PA 5001. In the back it says that it runs on 120 volts AC, 60 Hz, and 1000 watts ( due you think that could be the power output of the amp??). I've been looking all over for more information on the amp. Is there anyone familiar with this brand?? If so, please provide me with some information.

- Thank you very much
-Don

P.S. any information on this unit will be greatly appreciated because i have none!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: For those of you who are audio veterans, this is for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! [message #40568 is a reply to message #40562] Thu, 06 March 2003 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi!

Made in 1978

250 watts per channel (or is it mono?)

Soundcraftsman is a grunty amp made for crankin'. Sometimes you still see them in use at rehearsal studios or in old clubs. I never heard a 5001, but I remember S.C. as a very hard hitting amp for the power rating, and not bad sounding really. Bi-polar direct coupled I think. Creative Acoustics in Raleigh, NC used to sell Soundcraftsman. (they might tell you about it too, if you can't find any more info online)

Thomas

Re: For those of you who are audio veterans, this is for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! [message #40573 is a reply to message #40562] Fri, 07 March 2003 06:15 Go to previous message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi Don,

I had one of the later Soundcraftsman (1990ish) amplifiers after they had been aquired be MTX. I used it with a pair of K-horns and it got the job done. Very Bryston like in its performance without the finesse of the more expensive Bryston amps. What that means is a ton of power with great impact, but lacking subtlety on the top end. Both the Klipschorns and Soundcraftsman amp/preamp have moved on, only one of them I wish I had back on an almost daily basis! Jerrod

Previous Topic: Heres an interesting little compression driver/horn combo
Next Topic: Source for JBL Pro Sound Drivers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 05:16:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio