Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » tube active crossover LISTENING TESTS
tube active crossover LISTENING TESTS [message #40496] Mon, 03 March 2003 11:00 Go to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
have officially begun:) Damn, I was having sinking spells about the hum problem, until I remembered my XM9L has the p/s center tap/ground point earthed via a 100 ohm resistor. I checked Phil Marchands web site, and sure enough in his MEGA-buck tube design, the B+ AND reg. dc filament supplies both have their negative sides earthed...via 100 ohm 1 watt power resistors. Installed them, and it is now VERY quiet. When the cd player is powered off, there is a slight buzz, which goes away completely when it is turned on. With no music playing, the HF is as quiet, maybe even slightly less hiss than the XM9L, which is really quiet. And the mighty 555, no hum or buzz.
A final tweak was to take a black marker, and remove the "hecho in frog land" labels, the rest of the uncooperative hum vanished!!! Sam
yep, tubes on top, the MC-240 has level controls on it's "twin" inputs, sand on bottom for punch.
Re: tube active crossover LISTENING TESTS [message #40501 is a reply to message #40496] Mon, 03 March 2003 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Glad you got the bugs worked out! I'll bet you really got that gear singin'!!!
Re: tube active crossover LISTENING TESTS [message #40504 is a reply to message #40496] Mon, 03 March 2003 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
hey Sam, Thats great. you've been pretty diligent with this project. I wish I had the electrical skills some of you have to works on these projects from scratch like this. I need a kit and some good instructions! nice going man,

Bill

Re: tube active crossover LISTENING TESTS [message #40505 is a reply to message #40496] Mon, 03 March 2003 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sam,
How are you doing, we discussed time/phase alignment in the past. I am curious what you are using as your high-frequency drivers that you need MC-240 to run. I am thinking of using mine as bottom end amp and one of my flea-powered amps for my Altec horns. The MC-240 is powerful enough to drive any of the Pi speakers currently available for home use. Are you using this for large public venues????
Regards, Ron
Post photos! [message #40508 is a reply to message #40496] Mon, 03 March 2003 21:58 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Post photos if you can.
Previous Topic: Howdy Neighbor!
Next Topic: TEN PI Questions...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 04:33:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio