Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » TEN PI Questions...
TEN PI Questions... [message #40494] Mon, 03 March 2003 10:01 Go to previous message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
I'm still trying to convince the church board that we need a pair of 10 pi's for main speakers. ( But we only spent $300 on those Sunn speakers 10-15 years ago......)Last night we lost our main amp so $400 of the budget will now be going to a Crown CE1000.

In the mean time, I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone tried using sand to fill the back part of the cabinet instead of expandable foam? Yeah, I know that would make them really heavy but they'd only get moved once. Any sound advantages or dissadvantages to this? Any idea as to HOW MUCH heavier this would make the speakers?

2. Lets say I have to use the expandable foam. How much is needed per pair and what does it cost? (I have to figure that into the budget also) Is there a specific brand name that works best and where do you get it?

3. Lets say a fella wants to build a 10 pi but wants to put the HF into another cabinet that sits on top of the 10 pi. Would the chamber for the JBL 15 have to be made a bit smaller to compensate for the airspace that the HF would have displaced?

4. How seamless do these speakers sound between the HF and midrange? If I like the way these sound I may build another pair to be used at home with my 2A3 amps. Or would I need to stick with the Thermionic Series or Theater 4's? If I went with 10 pi's I would probably eventually bi amp with the 2A3's on top and a bigger tube amp or SS on the bottom.

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: tube active crossover LISTENING TESTS
Next Topic: Which pi has the "most" bass?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 06:09:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio