Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Diaphram size of compression drivers, does it affect performance?
Diaphram size of compression drivers, does it affect performance? [message #40460] Sat, 01 March 2003 03:05 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey everyone. After going through the audioasylum pi speakers/high efficiency forum, it made me think about the compression drivers I will be buying. This guy said that the diaphram size matters. For instance, a compression driver with 1" throat, will sound better with a 3" diaphram than a 2". Is this true? Also I cannot find any 1" throat drivers with a diaphram as large as 3" (although 2" throat drivers do have 4" diaphrams).

Does anyone know the diaphram size of the P.Audio 1" throat compression drivers?

Thanks in advance! (but only if you decide to help, haha).
Adrian

"Size matters" [message #40472 is a reply to message #40460] Sat, 01 March 2003 12:52 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Large diaphragms can work at lower frequencies, but are less able to perform well at higher frequencies. But as for changing the size of the diaphragm in a compression driver, that's like changing the cone size of a 10" woofer. The compresson driver you buy will have a specific size diaphragm, and if you want a different size, you buy a different driver.
Previous Topic: Re: Pi Speakers
Next Topic: tube active xover update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 02:24:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout