Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » P.Audio SD-450 N on JBL 2370 Bi-Radial Horn with Wayne Parhams compensation circuit
Re: Hey the file you sent is great, I have a few questions though........ [message #40405 is a reply to message #40404] Mon, 24 February 2003 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey again! The schematics you sent me are GREAT! Just what I was looking for. Just have a couple of quick questions....

Since compression drivers are high efficiency (although it should be lowered with HF compensation circuit I think), can I still install a simple attenuation circuit (if I find I need one) like the one here at the compression drivers terminals http://www.loudspeakers101.com/Lpad.htm

How should I decide how many db of HF attenuation to use in the circuit? I know it involves looking at the graph of the response of the compression driver on the horn, then summing the compensation circuit with it to get final response. So I think what I do is see how many db down at 20KHz it is, then pick the db attenuation values in the chart you sent me by email?

On the very last page of the file, it says "Note: Components R3, C4 and C5 are not used with woofers listed on this page. In all other respects, the 800aLxxdB crossover is the same as the standard 800a0xxdB 800Hz crossover, and the 1K6aLxxdB crossover is the same as the standard 1K6a0xxdB 1600Hz crossover." And the woofers listed are the JBL 2205H, 2226H and 2227H. Why are these components left out of the design with these woofers? I think though the file said this is only when using it as a pseudo first order filter. By the way, whats the difference between a pseudo first order and normal first order filters?

On the schematic, where it shows the symbol of the woofer, right behind it is the symbol for an inductor (the curely line) but no marking for it like L4 etc. I believe though that it is just part of the speaker symbol (because speakers themselves are kind of like inductors?).

Thanks! Adrian

2370 caps [message #40407 is a reply to message #40398] Mon, 24 February 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Yes the .33 0r .22 is for the bypass, and the standard value works ok too, but with 2370 when you play loud it sounds splashy with .47. The mF uF thing was just a typo on my part, oops. The best thing would be to get all three of the cap values and then see which one you like with your compression driver, as it can be a matter of taste as well as science. As for cap types, I like any film and foil caps. the Auricap is nice, but any audio grade film and foil type would do fine. If you have trouble getting them, go for metalized film caps as a second choice. The brand is no big deal so long as they are made well and accurate.

Thomas

A few answers [message #40411 is a reply to message #40405] Mon, 24 February 2003 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The π compensation circuit does three things:

1. Attenuates the HF section to match the LF section
2. Augments the top octave to compensate for rolloff
3. Damps the peak at resonance

So to use a simple L-Pad will accomplish one of these things, but you'll still need to find solutions for the other two.

On some of my speaker designs, I use a midwoofer up to the point where it begins to rolloff. Most of these have some amount of series inductance, but it is used for response shaping rather than as a crossover. In that case, the Zobel is often omitted, and without it, the coil will not act as a first-order crossover. I call this arrangement a pseudo-first-order filter.

Re: Radial horns [message #40413 is a reply to message #40396] Mon, 24 February 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Adrian,

If you are planning to make an 800hz horn I would recommend the larger 1.750/1" flange. If you are planning on a smaller version similar to the 12" horn, then the 1.500/1" flange is better. If you decide to turn your own. you can use a 1" to 2" conical flange and that will give you a 2db gain. Yes, prices are USD. expensive but the best there are. shipping is included if you can wait for surface shipping. You can easily turn your own or if you know a friend who has a lathe perhaps you can buy him dinner. The dimensions on the site are all you need for correct angle format. The AT-3 is for 2" format and you dont want that.

The dimensions for the wood horns are whatever you want to make them.
The overall dimensions for the horns are on the website along with the flange dimensions. You'll have to reverse engineer it and make any changes to meet your own requirements. I would think the 800hz size to best suit your needs.

Bill

Re: P.Audio SD-450 N on JBL 2370 Bi-Radial Horn with Wayne Parhams compensation circuit [message #40414 is a reply to message #40399] Mon, 24 February 2003 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kramer is currently offline  Kramer
Chancellor
I bought the horns from the same person who sold me the drivers (used). I had no specific reason for going with the wider dispersion horn; it was just happenstance that he was selling them cheaply with the drivers.
Thanks!!!!!! [message #40415 is a reply to message #40411] Tue, 25 February 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey thanks for all the info man, you've been very helpful. I'll be sure to send ya some piccies of the project once its been built! and some of the construction process of course :)

Also like to say thanks to everyone else who has responded to this post as well!

Adrian

Flanges [message #40416 is a reply to message #40413] Tue, 25 February 2003 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey thanks for the tips. I actually have access to a complete workshop where I can use wood lathes, do wood turning, etc. Any pointers on making flanges?

Thanks! Adrian

Re: Flanges [message #40418 is a reply to message #40416] Tue, 25 February 2003 06:09 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Adrian,

If you decide to make the throat's from wood. I suggest using baltic birch plywood glued up to make 1.750 thickness. You will need the very thin laminates for flange strength. I believe making the flange itself 5/16 (8mm) thick will be good.

Bill

Previous Topic: Pi 10 build idea
Next Topic: 10 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 10:17:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers