Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » double bass horn
double bass horn [message #40358] Thu, 20 February 2003 10:47 Go to next message
Michael Ray is currently offline  Michael Ray
Esquire
I've posted on the high efficiency speaker forum, and someone suggested I post here as well. I'm looking to amplify a double bass. My original idea was to use a high efficiency bass horn driven by an SET amp. But I've been told that SETs don't generate that kind of power. I am still philosophically attracted to tube designs, but I wouldn't rule out SS amps. Anyway, I had envisioned this big circular sort of snail shaped horn, about six or seven feet in diameter, with of course, a quite long horn path. The horn mouth size might be a limiting problem. Anyway, a wall and floor could always be used for continuation of the horn. The bass will be most commonly bowed, so there is a lot more treble information than when it is plucked. I'm hoping to avoid the EQed sound that is commonly achieved by jazz and popular music bassists. However, if the speaker must err, I'd rather it err in the treble range than in the bass range. The goal is to use the amplifier in live music (club) settings. The instrument would have to compete with a non-muffled acoustic drumset. Other recommendations I've heard are Karlsons, TQWT and TL designs. In stereo speakers, I like the concept of single full-range drivers. I like that concept for this application as well, knowing however that that may not be feasible for the bass demands of this application. Any recommendations?
Re: double bass horn [message #40360 is a reply to message #40358] Thu, 20 February 2003 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
If you are sold on the single driver design, I would stick with the folded horn for the box. Check out The Hornshoppe, Jericho horn or ZHorn (there are many others). The Pi Studio Series 2 Tower will give you good bass extension without and have no XO (like a single driver) and are priced in a way that is hard to beat.

As far as less sensitive speakers, the EL34 amps that have more power than SET's are very popular with tube listeners and even with more sensitive speakers like horns (even folded horns).

Ten π or ten π-18 [message #40362 is a reply to message #40358] Thu, 20 February 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd recommend the ten π folded horn. It is simple to build, easy to service and works very well. You'll find placement options are good too, because it fits nicely in front of a stage when placed on its side and is stackable too. They look and sound great placed in standing groups as well.
Re: double bass horn [message #40477 is a reply to message #40358] Sun, 02 March 2003 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Where do you live? I'd drive a reasonable distance to hear my Karlsons driven by my Crown with an acoustic bass as the source. The two cabs stacked with 500 easy watts should keep up with the drumkit.
I'm in W Mass.
Pi 10s should also crank, maybe build roller blade wheels into the back bottom of the cabs so you could tilt them back and move them around yourself.

John

Re: double bass horn [message #40540 is a reply to message #40477] Wed, 05 March 2003 11:51 Go to previous message
Michael Ray is currently offline  Michael Ray
Esquire
I live in Mobile, AL. Probably not a reasonable distance.
Previous Topic: How do I determine the inductance of a Woofer
Next Topic: pseudo 2 Pi crossover questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 10 01:25:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout