Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What is your tolerance for background noise
What is your tolerance for background noise [message #40225] Sat, 08 February 2003 18:16 Go to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
when listening to your system? Seems like as time goes on, even though my hearing has deteriorated* (or maybe BECAUSE it has), I seem to be increasingly intolerant of hearing ANYTHING besides what's coming from the speakers. In my present environment, it's hard to knock down all the background. I want to hear NOTHING!!! However, when listening outside, it seems not to matter as much, perhaps because a)the power levels are up, even if the SPL at my location are similar and b)there are no room effects and the sound can really open up.
My big-ass stuff is really constrained by the smaller indoor rooms. It's probably stupid to keep working on this rig in a relatively small space. I'm thinking that during MAF I may try to select some good smaller speakers (i.e. 2Pi) to put in the loft, maybe augment with the subs I have, and enjoy a more reasonably sized system for normal indoor sized spaces...............
BTW, on another topic, if anyone has an interest, nOrh will have their SE9 AND SE18 tube amps at MAF in "special show pricing" mode, and it'll pretty damn hard to beat. I'm thinking of a bedroom/office/living room system based on a nOrh tube amp and some suitable speaker...........because, YOU KNOW, I really need some more audio gear...............maybe I'll switch to crack......HAR!

* a very likely consequence of being around the front of the PA at too many live events, not hanging out listening, but working the event..........now that I have realized for the last 2 years that I have developed tinitus, I am a lot more cautious, but the damage is done.........I can hear what's going on just fine, but have the constant low/mid level ringing, and am more sensitive to certain SPL's at certain frequencies.........my own fault.........

Re: What is your tolerance for background noise [message #40228 is a reply to message #40225] Sat, 08 February 2003 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sometimes, a bit of noise doesn't bother me, like when there's a lot of people around and the environment is like a party scene.

But when I'm listening to something down low, like late at night when the world is asleep and I'm listening to music or whatever way down low, obviously then the noise can really get irritating. At those listening levels, I want it quiet as a cave, black as night.

Re: What is your tolerance for background noise [message #40229 is a reply to message #40225] Sat, 08 February 2003 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
background noise is part of the experience. i rarely listen to my system by myself. sure audiophiles will play one of their 4 cd's and try to analyze ( note the anal part ) the shortcomings of their system. i like to sit back, enjoy a glass of wine and shoot the shit with friends. the music set's the mood and everyone has a good time. but hey, my system sounds great. if the chatter from friends talking becomes boisterous i just turn it up. 3 watts gets everyone dancing!

cheers,

george

Re: What is your tolerance for background noise [message #40231 is a reply to message #40225] Sat, 08 February 2003 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Funny you should post that question. I just sent my son to bed and shut off the kids computer, noisy fan. Between the furnace and down stairs frig I am used to having something going on. Only in the summer months can I get it really quiet and it sure is nice that way. Rest of the time I just make do.
Re: What is your tolerance for background noise [message #40238 is a reply to message #40225] Sun, 09 February 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
It just depends on the situation and what my objectives are. I usually like some music playin even if I am not listening attentivly. When I want to really listen, I want it quiet. Like you, my computer fan is noisey and does bother my listening at low levels. Noise from TV, other music in the house, talking or singing from family members, dogs barking and the like will irritate me when I am trying to listen.

I try not to get upset about it. Hey that is what family life is all about, co-existing together. It just makes me appriciate the quietness more when I get it. I am a shift worker and work nights about half of my hours at work so I get alot of days to myself with nobody around to enjoy the quiet, never at night though... always in the daytime.

Re: What is your tolerance for background noise [message #40347 is a reply to message #40225] Wed, 19 February 2003 11:04 Go to previous message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
I quit winding the mantel clock to my right, and I'm glad the last fish finally kicked off in the tank to my left so I could kill the damn air pump.

Uhhhmmmmm . . . what was the question? ;-)

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Previous Topic: Ella! Kudos to Brian Cherry and Kevin Haskins.
Next Topic: Impedance peak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 13:17:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout