Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » bypass Martin Logan xover
bypass Martin Logan xover [message #40297] Sun, 16 February 2003 07:52 Go to next message
dend is currently offline  dend
Esquire
can anyone tell me can & how the xover in prodigy could be bypassed.
i have tact 2.2 rcs (preamp) & two stereo tact amps,this system offers user sellectable xover (all digital).
what i do know (not much) is prodigy has two 10in woofers one front one rear they are not the same type (front is scanspeek not sure about rear) they are 4 ohm each. the front is xover at 250 2nd order the rear is xover at a lower hz i think maybe below 100hz .there is some type of active circuit here (force forward ML calls it) the stat is also xover at 250 2nd order, there may be some active lifting of some sort in this xover.

would i be right that to bypass the stat i would need to hook the amp direct to the audio transformer if so how do i identify this point exactly. also because the woofers are 4 ohm parralel is no good as the tact amps might not handle this load well & series hook up is out because the woofers have different behavior (not being the same) so tri amp seems to be the only way. will the stat &/or the transformer be damaged by doing this (i think they have two transfomers each)

any help would be greatly appreciated

dennis

Re: bypass Martin Logan xover [message #40313 is a reply to message #40297] Sun, 16 February 2003 23:18 Go to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Dennis,
It might be possible, but I would bet it would significantly compromise or even erase the quality of sound from these speakers. ML is one of the few manufacturers to get dipole esl/dynamic cone hybrids to sound right. They take great care and pride in the fact that they effectively tailor the frequency, slope and phase of crossover sections to eliminate as much discontinuity between panel and cone as possible. Looks like you have two pretty beefy amps though, so a passive bi-amp with good cable ought to give you enough oomph. Shame you can't use the crossover feature, but If you like it you've already got a primo system. Put an amp next to each speaker(shorter wire is better wire) and drive the panel with one channel while you drive the cones with the other. With my acoustats, this works well as the panel always seems to draw more juice than the cones(your mileage may vary). This way the current hungry panels dont have to share the same power supply. (forget that if your amps are dual mono)

Can you tell this ex-salesman has had ML's training ; )
Thomas

Previous Topic: Which type of horn flare for small room?
Next Topic: Adjust size of 3Pi or 4Pi cabinet if placing horn outside?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 00:53:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio