Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What is your tolerance for background noise
What is your tolerance for background noise [message #40225] Sat, 08 February 2003 18:16 Go to previous message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
when listening to your system? Seems like as time goes on, even though my hearing has deteriorated* (or maybe BECAUSE it has), I seem to be increasingly intolerant of hearing ANYTHING besides what's coming from the speakers. In my present environment, it's hard to knock down all the background. I want to hear NOTHING!!! However, when listening outside, it seems not to matter as much, perhaps because a)the power levels are up, even if the SPL at my location are similar and b)there are no room effects and the sound can really open up.
My big-ass stuff is really constrained by the smaller indoor rooms. It's probably stupid to keep working on this rig in a relatively small space. I'm thinking that during MAF I may try to select some good smaller speakers (i.e. 2Pi) to put in the loft, maybe augment with the subs I have, and enjoy a more reasonably sized system for normal indoor sized spaces...............
BTW, on another topic, if anyone has an interest, nOrh will have their SE9 AND SE18 tube amps at MAF in "special show pricing" mode, and it'll pretty damn hard to beat. I'm thinking of a bedroom/office/living room system based on a nOrh tube amp and some suitable speaker...........because, YOU KNOW, I really need some more audio gear...............maybe I'll switch to crack......HAR!

* a very likely consequence of being around the front of the PA at too many live events, not hanging out listening, but working the event..........now that I have realized for the last 2 years that I have developed tinitus, I am a lot more cautious, but the damage is done.........I can hear what's going on just fine, but have the constant low/mid level ringing, and am more sensitive to certain SPL's at certain frequencies.........my own fault.........

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Ella! Kudos to Brian Cherry and Kevin Haskins.
Next Topic: Impedance peak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 13:22:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout