Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, you've got to see the Feb. issue of AudioXpress!
Wayne, you've got to see the Feb. issue of AudioXpress! [message #40166] Wed, 05 February 2003 19:24 Go to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
There is a review of Adire's HE10.1.

Dave

Reviews [message #40167 is a reply to message #40166] Wed, 05 February 2003 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Seems like I saw a reference to that review somewhere, but I don't recall where. Probably over at the High Efficiency forum, since that's really the only place I go besides here. Lately, I don't even have time for that.

So where is the Adire review on AudioXpress? I went there and looked around a bit just now and didn't find it. Do they publish online or only in print?

unfortunately, the bozo's tested [message #40169 is a reply to message #40166] Thu, 06 February 2003 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
with the tweeter in the wrong phase, causing a large dip in response for the one speaker. I was very disappointed.

"the crossover was wired correctly as indicated by the red dot on the tweeter terminals. unfortunately, the terminals are mismarked. this is an adire error. a diy builder would have no way of knowing the tweeter was polarity-reversed." joe d'appolito
HOW DID THEY HOOK THE LEFT AND RIGHT TWEETERS IN DIFFERENT POLARITIES? Even if the red dots are backwards, one would assume that they both had the red dot on the same relative terminal, right? I think Joe is insulting the readers intelligence with his claim. And Dennis Colin rated the "image focus" a 9, the highest they rated any single category in the review:)
"Imaging good, very precise" d.colin
With the HF in reversed polarity?!? Sam
Re: unfortunately, the bozo's tested [message #40170 is a reply to message #40169] Thu, 06 February 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
-with the tweeter in the wrong phase, causing a large dip in response for the one speaker,

Interesting that they didn't seem to notice the difference in response from one speaker to the other. I use a lot of vintage speakers and the first thing I do when I hook them up is put a mono recording through them to see them and roll the balance to see if there is any difference in the FR. I also to a center image check as suggested by Dave and Dan at Adire. I would do the same if I had just built a speaker. It's easy to wire something out of phase even when it's properly marked. I was taught by my father who built his equipment in the early 50’s. He didn’t have any test equipment but he knew how use his ears to detect problems.

It's not surprising that the image focus is top notch. A coax tweeter that is phase aligned with the woofer should have excellent imaging.

I was not trying to suggest that the review showed that the Adire product is bad. I was recommending it just as an interesting read. Quite a comedy of errors! I quite enjoy the construction and theory articles in AudioXperss but they need a little work on their reviews.

Dave

Phase and Imaging [message #40190 is a reply to message #40170] Thu, 06 February 2003 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Perhaps the misconnection made them sound more interesting?
Re: Phase and Imaging [message #40211 is a reply to message #40190] Fri, 07 February 2003 11:21 Go to previous message
Viscount

One thing I noticed about the Adire is that the response seemed quite ragged even on the speaker that was wired properly. I wonder what the deal is with their tweeter?

Dave

Previous Topic: New browser; looking for suitable kit for 8 watt 2A3PSE kit
Next Topic: Location and size of binding posts on Pi 2 Towers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 02:42:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio