Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio Series 2Pi Comparison(long)
Re: Studio Series 2Pi Comparison(long) [message #40153 is a reply to message #40122] Wed, 05 February 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Mike, Thanks for you opinion of the Pi's and the MMG's.

I agreee with you about the ability of the Maggies to "disapear" They really do that and I like that about them too. I must admit that with dynamic speakers I do appreciate the dynamic sound but sometimes I get the feeling(especially at higher SPL's) that the speakers are SHOUTING at me, when I listen for extended periods of time I will become fatigued much more easily than with planars.

What I do like about the Pi Towers is that I can turn up the SPL as much as I want and get good clean, clear, undistorted music that is very revealing even from a cheap SS amp without pushing the amp all. Best of all, too really FEEL the music!(as many have stated). I GET A KICK OUT OF LISTENTING TO THE Pi Towers.

The two things that are the downside for me are the directivity of the music as you stated that the speakers do not "disappear", and the fact that at high SPL's the Towers will begin to make my ears tire fast. I can listen to the planars without feeling the pain. I do not know why but the planars are just a smoother presentation to me and for some reason more musical.

I suppose that I could attribute some of the results to improper room set-up or perhaps some room treatment would be in order but was testing both side by side in the same room and so the room acoustics can have some bearing since they are such different speakers but I really thought that I was giving the benifit of the doubt to the Pi Towers since they are not supposed to be placment critical speaker and the MMG's are. I did not even have the MMG's set up where I normally have them as I thought it would be fairest to have the two set-up side by side. I did not even place the MMG's towed-in to achieve maximum sweet spot.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: π three-way passive crossover 250Hz/1.6kHz
Next Topic: Wayne: Advice for EV LS12A drivers in Pi Alignment?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 17:18:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio