Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio Series 2Pi Comparison(long)
Don't count them out yet! [message #40129 is a reply to message #40118] Mon, 03 February 2003 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
I own maggies, acoustats and Theater 4Pi's. I have also made a few things with the motorola piezo and helped a friend with some 1Pi's. It took me a while to get the Pi's in a good spot. I had to unlearn the typical hi-fi setup "rules". The places that stereophile never thought of were the best. With 1Pi's I prefer them near the corners up against the wall. I like the tweeter toed in a LOT, attenuated a bit, or some of each. The motorola is pretty hot at and above 20K so it can sound bright and very dry on axis if you can hear that high. If you think of toe in as a sweetness "knob" you can dial it in nicely. It is a small horn with a pretty wide throat for 22k, so it will gently lose top octave as you toe past the listening position, without losing power where you want it. There is also an added bonus of extreme toe for maggie fans, giving a somewhat more diffuse sound. You may find you like the piezo at a lower level relative to the woofer. lots of folks have had success adding the appropriate cap in series. Check the archives for piezo stuff, theres a lot you can do to get what you like. A fast break in for tweets is to find a cd that seems to excite a resonance or breakup in the tweeter and play it pretty loud whenever the house is empty for a few times. Nothing wrong with liking what you like. If you can keep the Pi dynamics and get a more sweet and diffuse sound, some tuning is more than justified.
Thomas

P.S. I have been trying a lot of piezo tweaks that I don't want to bore the forum with, but if you still aren't happy after more break in and setup, give me a shout.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: π three-way passive crossover 250Hz/1.6kHz
Next Topic: Wayne: Advice for EV LS12A drivers in Pi Alignment?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 17:27:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio