Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Speakerman's here!.....Somebody call the Plumber!!!!
Speakerman's here!.....Somebody call the Plumber!!!! [message #40114] Sat, 01 February 2003 05:29
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If you follow Speakerman's posts you realise that everywhere he goes, the local water system crashes.So I took a big chance and invited him up to my place yesterday. The posted sign is warning him away 'cause in the morning, sure 'nough, the upstairs john wouldn't flush.
But we got past that, listened to his Dynaco ST-70, beautifully re-built to stock,and I got a hands on lesson in building the crossover I need for my latest project.
The Altec/JBL 3677 LOVES the Dynaco. BIG difference in sound from the 2A3. 10X the power! Don't exactly know how to characterise it but it reminds me of when I had a Bedini 25/25 driving Acoustat 1+1's and I was loaned a Bedini 200/200 to try. The smaller amp gets the nuances and sounds delicate and refined. The biggie turns the nuances into details and overall sounds a bit darker 'cause the bass is more powerful(?). Then there's whatever effect on the pre-amp as it's not pushing as hard.
And the ST-70, unlike some other deified vintage amps (Scott) image beautifully.
It'll be no hardship to go back to the Paramours, but now I'm looking forward to completing the Ella even more.
Some more pix of the visit on the website but here's Ron and Sharon arriving:

Read Message
Previous Topic: A little confusion. Re: Theater 4 Baffle cutout
Next Topic: Condolences to Columbia crew and families
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 05 01:14:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers