Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tweeter 1/2" to low :(
Tweeter 1/2" to low :( [message #40073] Tue, 28 January 2003 16:30 Go to next message
dobanion is currently offline  dobanion
Esquire
Oops, I mounted my tweeter 1/2 to low on my 2 pi speaker (assembled) and the other baffle is already cut out. What effect will this have? I've already come to grips that I'll have to start over. Ughh.

Bright side, I've learned a lot!!

Dennis

Re: Tweeter 1/2" to low :( [message #40075 is a reply to message #40073] Tue, 28 January 2003 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Are you saying both tweeters are 1/2" low. Or one is a 1/2" lower than the other?

If they are both equal in dimension than I doubt that there will be any difference that you will notice. Wayne can let you know if there will be a problem in this respect.

You can counterbore a circle that is bigger than the tweeter into the baffle in the correct tweeter position. The bad tweeter hole will have an offset centro to the new counterbore. Now cut a disk and shape it in some attractive fashion ( I would sujjest 1/4" proud with a simple quarter round edge) and drop it the counterbore, glued in place. You now have a decorative ring around your tweeter after you drill the new hole in the correct local.

If you two holes are mis aligned to each other by a 1/2". You might be able to "cheat the hole" The tweeter overlaps the hole. Egg one hole down, just until you loose overlap. egg the other hole up. If you can get 1/4" up/down from each hole they wil be centered.

Have fun!

Bill

Re: OR...... [message #40076 is a reply to message #40075] Tue, 28 January 2003 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
....you could take the cut-out you made when you drilled/routed the hole, or make a new one out of the same material, and epoxy it into the hole with 'slow-set epoxy for wood'.
Wait 24 hours and drill/rout the hole all over again. Cut discs of felt to surround both tweeters which they could use anyway, and the whole affair is your little secret.
My fixes are better than Bmars because I have much more practice fixing mistakes:)
Re: OR...... [message #40077 is a reply to message #40076] Tue, 28 January 2003 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
ha ha ha..... Thats a big grin. Your fix is a lot more simple and easy to execute thats for sure.

Ive been heating my house this winter with mistakes though :)

Re: Tweeter 1/2" to low :( [message #40078 is a reply to message #40073] Tue, 28 January 2003 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I mistakenly cut both speaker baffels where the tweeter is 1/2" to close to the midbass unit. Also, I am correct in hooking up the spool of hook-up wire (I forget what that thing is called) to the midbass, right?

I'm a rookie at everything speaker building!

Dennis

Re: Tweeter 1/2" to low :( [message #40080 is a reply to message #40073] Tue, 28 January 2003 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
PROVIDED that there's still room to mount the drivers (the tweeter & the bass-midrange) so they don't get in each others way, I seriously doubt if it will have much negative impact, if any at all! Don't dispair, at least not until you've heard Wayne's opinion...

Personally I'm all for mounting the drivers as near to each other as practical limits allows - in an attempt to get as close to a point source as possible. This becomes more important the closer to the speakers you are while you're listening.

No problem [message #40083 is a reply to message #40073] Wed, 29 January 2003 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
No problem at all. You want 'em as close as possible, and in this case aesthetics is the driving motivator. You'll be 100% A-OK on this deal so don't sweat it.
Odds and ends [message #40084 is a reply to message #40078] Wed, 29 January 2003 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You're right - the wire with the spool should be attached to the midwoofer. Be sure that the lead positive lead of your connector panel is connected to the positive lead of your tweeter and also the positive lead of your midwoofer, through the inductor. I forget if your kits have the inductor that would be screw mounted or not - If you have a hole on the spool that would fit a small screw, us that to attach the coil to the inside back wall. If not, use automotive weatherstrip glue.
Re: Tweeter 1/2" to low :( [message #40086 is a reply to message #40073] Wed, 29 January 2003 06:49 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks to all for your responses. I'm glad I don't have to build the cabinets again, though I might sometime in the future as I am sure I could do a better job.

Dennis

Previous Topic: Theater 4pi audition
Next Topic: Pi Theater 4s at Outdoor Wedding Reception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 04:48:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers