Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2pi tower questions
2pi tower questions [message #40051] Sun, 26 January 2003 18:57 Go to next message
surgeonx is currently offline  surgeonx
Esquire
Hi Wayne!

I'm currently running a Dynaco ST70 with Sonus Faber Minuettos and was thinking of moving on to high efficiency speakers. I came across several great comments on the 2pi's which caught my interest. Anyway, is it possible to modify the cabinet dimensions to decrease the width and increase the depth (to keep cabinet volume the same) without adversely affecng the sound? My wife doesnt like wide speakers but doesnt care about a speakers depth. Also, is it possible to request for plans to the 2pi towers? I've never done any DIY before and I'd like to see if I can tackle the cabinet building part before ordering the kit.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Tristan Catindig
Philippines

Re: 2pi tower questions [message #40052 is a reply to message #40051] Sun, 26 January 2003 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Hi! As long as you maintain the volume, & don't go to too 'wild' extremes in altering the box-dimensions, you should be on the safe side. But be carefull when/if you alter the dimensions! Remember, it's better to measure/calculate twice than to have to use the saw twice... If you're a beginner, I think these boxes are almost as simple as it gets - so in that sense, it's a good place to start.

I'll bet Wayne will send you the plans when he sees your post!

You've got mail! [message #40053 is a reply to message #40051] Sun, 26 January 2003 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
A few people have built them with the 13 inch dimension as their width and the 16 inch dimension as their depth. When doing this, keep the woofer, tweeter and port locations the same in all other respects (vertical height on the baffle). They're pretty easy to build and you'll find a lot of good support here on the forum. Some really great cabinetmakers and craftsmen frequent this forum and offer their advice and expertise. So be sure to search the forums for things like bracing, assembly techniques and cabinet finish.
Re: 2pi tower questions [message #40054 is a reply to message #40051] Sun, 26 January 2003 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
This is how I built mine (click on link). If you go with 13" wide x 16 deep as Wayne specifies and you use my type of corner bracing then you will barly have enough room for the 10 driver so be careful. Mine are 14 1/2 width outside dimension and as you can see in the pics that the hole for the woffer is pretty tight. You don't have to build as I did but there have been a couple here that have showed some intrest in this type of construction and I did it this way because even though it is a bigger job in some ways it simplified the construction for me because I am not a cabinent maker with high quality tools. In fact Home Depot cut all the plywood for me.

They sound darn good. I will be doing some A/B test with some other speakers this week. I don't know if they differ much in sound or not from the 13 x 16 version. I have read that this shaping of the box can lead to a version of a "pipe" and may be more prone to standing waves and such.

Have fun!

Re: 2pi tower questions [message #40055 is a reply to message #40051] Mon, 27 January 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Hi Tristan,
I am from Quezon City. If you are anywhere nearby, you can drop by and have a listen. I have the bookshelf version and still planning to build the tower. You can bring your gear and drop them in. E-mail me privately if you have any question.
Edwin
thanks to all!!! [message #40063 is a reply to message #40051] Mon, 27 January 2003 14:32 Go to previous message
surgeonx is currently offline  surgeonx
Esquire
Thank you guys for all the responses. I'll check my mail now and look over the plans.
Previous Topic: Altec Lansing 418 B
Next Topic: Latest high efficiency Ice House P.A. speaker with cryo'd components
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 07 04:25:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio