Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne and crossover guys; a little help?
something to try [message #39923 is a reply to message #39919] Fri, 17 January 2003 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
when you are bored is a series xover. The altecs can handle the shallow rolloff if you cross them at 1.6kHz., like Wayne does in the 4 Pi Pro. When I tried it with the jbl/altec systems, subjectively the clarity and dynamics were a hair better than with the 600 Hz. BW's I had previuosly used. Other web references will give you the benefits of series xovers (AND their pitfalls), but to do it only takes a single coil and cap per speaker. My 8 ohm values were a 0.8mH 14 ga. air coil and 12uF solen cap. Padded with resistors, sounded good.
The 4648a-8 acts like one BIG 8 ohm driver, run "pseudo-1st" and xover at 1.6kHz. like in the 4 Pi Pro, fed thru the coil. The HF is fed 1st order thru the cap. Not much to screw up the sound. The resistors present a nice even load to the HF portion of the series circuit. Sam

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Finally... 2 Pi arrived!!!
Next Topic: Going to build the 800a009dB X-over from scratch; need help with C5 and R3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 20:59:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio