Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How many of you have "Soular Energy"? Hands?
How many of you have "Soular Energy"? Hands? [message #39866] Sun, 12 January 2003 17:36 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This ray Brown Trio opus has always been good sounding (Concord jazz CCD-4268) but tonight the Trio is live and on stage in my upstairs room!
Must be the Bed, Bath and Beyond pillows I'm using between the 811/806a's and the 2226J cabs.
Or maybe Speakerman is right about 16 ohms and 1.6k crossovers turning into 800 hz ones.
Skeezix!!! This is awesome sound!
I just won an auction for 59 sq ft of "weepy cedar" veneer. And I think I figured out how to stack a horn enclosure on top of a Pro Pi to make it look like a Model 19.
But I'm not sure how to get those pillows in there.
Soon as I do, the table saw will be singing.
What are you all doing, tonight?

Gee, Bill, I didn't use the right pillows! [message #39867 is a reply to message #39866] Sun, 12 January 2003 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,
I didn't shop at the right place for horn supports. As Bill knows, I did not have any high-tech support for my Altec horns I used on top of my JBL 3677 cabinets which are only 11" deep for a horn that is 13" deep or more. But, I just wanted to say that I used a 4" thick piece of foam 18" by 12", which will give you about 4" leeway for movement forward and back.
Bill, I have to tell you that your crossover is still 1.6khz since R2 sets the basic load for the crossover and R1 is in series with the ALtec compression driver which being 16 ohm, will only amount to less than 1 ohm difference being presented to the crossover, the voltage division with 16 ohm is half as much as would be with the 8 ohm load. Did I guess this right here experts???? But I know what you mean, I had the same system here myself.
Currently still trying to break the 2-pi's in with a Sansui Receiver "Six". Even though this unit from the 70's is only 28 watts/chnl, It is moving the Alpha 10's quite nicely. It is strange to see "cone movement" after using JBL 2226's for the last year, they pump bass even when they are barely moving.
Bill, when is the new "tubed amp-Ella's" gonna be ready, can't wait to hear them???
Regards, Ron
Re: How many of you have "Soular Energy"? Hands? [message #39868 is a reply to message #39866] Sun, 12 January 2003 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
I Just finished sanding. sanding between coats on cabinets and final sanding on new 500hz horns for 2" format drivers. all sittin in the paint room for tomorrow.

So oh great cappitan of tips and tricks. what can you put on your damn glasses so dust is not attracted to them like a cat to sunshine? tried cleaning them with static dryer sheats but that didnt work. I wouldnt wear them but things just look better

Till I hear things in the tone of your voice with reference to your abode that have not been used in past conversations. Upstairs? table saw? (tossed the dinning table didnt you) bed bath and beyond? I hope they match your frilly negla......

new Ramsy Lewis cd too.

Re: Gee, Bill, I didn't use the right pillows! [message #39869 is a reply to message #39867] Sun, 12 January 2003 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

As long as the pillows match your evening wear your in.

This site has some nice little crossover calcs. If you scroll down a bit you can enter the impeadance for both the woof and tweet, same or different and get some basic xo parameters. check it out

I have just one word for you, Bill....... [message #39870 is a reply to message #39868] Sun, 12 January 2003 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Schmalz!
Yes, schmear schmalz on you schpecs and you vill schee..... more schmalz.
But no schawdust.
be george, he's got it! [message #39871 is a reply to message #39867] Mon, 13 January 2003 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
Ron,
Good call on the crossover still seeing about the same load, even with the higher driver impedance. Are you using a R2 of 16ohms, and R1 of 25ohms, a la 12dB Pi Pad? Then substituting the higher z driver will likely reduce the attenuation present by maybe(?) 1.5dB's...you could probably "correct" for the difference by increasing R1 to 30 ohms. Otherwise, your HF MAY be a little hot. Sam

Sam, horn is a little hot, but in step with Altec sound! [message #39878 is a reply to message #39871] Mon, 13 January 2003 13:01 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sam,
R2 is 14 ohm and R1 is 30 ohm, with tube amp running, is fine, with solid state, I put a 30 ohm resistor across the horn driver.
My preference is for hotter sounding horns with the tube amps gives me a sweet soundstage.
I can't wait to finish breaking in these 2-pi's so I can put together a 4 pi with JBL 2226J and Altec 288/311-60 and play with that crossover, I like to breadboard my crossovers(on top of speakers) so I play and see the results.
Regards, Ron
Previous Topic: 2Pi Speakers
Next Topic: Woofer-tweeter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 07:08:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers