Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Let's try those 2Pi Towere pictures again.
Internal displacement [message #39831 is a reply to message #39826] Fri, 10 January 2003 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sure, you could displace so much volume that bracing material made a difference in cabinet tuning. But it would take a lot, to be honest. This particular cabinet is about 10,000 cubic inches so it takes a lot of displacement to be significant. But certainly if you use more bracing, you could always increase cabinet size to accomodate.
Re: Internal displacement [message #39832 is a reply to message #39831] Fri, 10 January 2003 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Johansson is currently offline  Erik Johansson
Viscount
So by that comment I suppose that bracing them like the speakers in these pictures would be OK without changing cabinet size?

Also, about the KSN-1038 sounding "sharp" on electric guitar solos and pretty much overall (just that it was very clear on the solo I mentioned)? Think it will be OK with the much better and also warmer sounding tube amp?

I canīt wait to hear his 1 Pi speakers with my tube amp. As I said, I have great hopes that the problem will be at least a lot less noticable.

/Erik

Re: Internal displacement [message #39833 is a reply to message #39832] Fri, 10 January 2003 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
When I calculated box volume, I assumed that three pairs of cross braces would be used and that the wood stock would be 1 x 2. I don't recall the exact displacement, but it seems like it was something like 300 cubic inches. So I don't know how much room the braces in Rodney's speakers are, but I expect they aren't much more than a hundred or maybe two hundred cubic inches more. That's not a lot, and there's no way you could see the difference in tuning from this on a response graph.

About the tweeters, to be honest, I really like the sound of the KSN-1038's. I wouldn't want to try to use them in systems that needed to generate concert level sound, but for maximum output of 110dB-115dB, I really think they're great, particularly for the money.

Re: Internal displacement [message #39834 is a reply to message #39833] Fri, 10 January 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Wayne, if I may butt in here. If you look at the pictures closly you will notice that all the corners where the plywood meets (both vertical and horizontal) have 2x2 bracing. I used the 2x2's to screw and glue the plywood to. I also threw in a couple in back to give the front back braces something to affix to so I could put the back in place when all finished.

I actually calculate the total 2x2 + 1x2 volume to be almost 500 cubic inches so it does add up in my box. I still don't know that it will make a significant difference but I would try to account for it if I were you Eric, just don't get carried away like I did.

KSN-1038 [message #39836 is a reply to message #39833] Fri, 10 January 2003 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne,

OK now Iīm even more certain that the cheap Sanyo all-integrated type crap is to blame for the sharp treble. As I said, I have great hope that my tube amp will solve this once and for all.

If not, there is always the Theater Fours... :)

/Erik

Re: Internal displacement [message #39837 is a reply to message #39834] Fri, 10 January 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Maybe my math is totally off, but I get around 1000 cubic inches just for the 2x2 stock around the edges. I did a rough calculation using 45 (46-1) inches for the stock from top to bottom, 11 (16-1-2-2) inches for side to side and 8 (13-1-2-2) inches for the front to back pieces. That adds up to a total length of 256 inches, 256x4 (2x2 stock) is more than 1000 cubic inches. Then we have the cross braces... :)

/Erik

Re: Internal displacement [message #39840 is a reply to message #39837] Fri, 10 January 2003 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Eric, I think we are both are off in our calculations. The total of 256' of 2x2 is pretty darn close. Multiply the 256 by 2.25 (as 2x2 are really only 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". So multiply 1.5x1.5 and you get 2.25 cubic inches per line feet) and there you have it. A total of 576 cubic inches for the 2x2 bracing. Then add a bit more for the 1x2 (what maybe onther 40 cubic inches). Figure a little over 600 cubic inches for the whole thing. I hope my way of calculating is correct.

This way of building the boxes makes it eaiser on one hand and maybe a bit more trouble on another. I will say this... that box in not coming apart!

Bass'n treble [message #39843 is a reply to message #39836] Fri, 10 January 2003 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Hi! Just wanted to mention that since the Pi2s are stronger in the bass than the Pi1s, this may well have a positive influence on how the treble is perceived - it's a known psycho-acoustical phenomenon that the bass & treble can influence each other this way.
Looks great and beefy too! [message #39844 is a reply to message #39816] Fri, 10 January 2003 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Good stuff, I know you will enjoy them.
Thomas
Dimensions: Narrower front baffle [message #39882 is a reply to message #39816] Mon, 13 January 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oscarl is currently offline  Oscarl
Chancellor
I noticed that you have changed the dimensions. What are your dimensions and how does this affect the overall sound of the speaker. I'm in the process of starting my tower project after a long delay of sourcing material and the narrower front baffle is very apealing to me. Wayne has already mentioned that the difference is very small, I however would like to know exactly what the difference is before I embark on this compromise.

Cheers
Oscar

Previous Topic: Woofer-tweeter
Next Topic: Active filters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 00:58:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers