Home » Audio » General » Packing Really Big Speakers
Packing Really Big Speakers [message #3979] Mon, 11 December 2006 07:15 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was among several Houston Audio Society members who were invited to a speaker packing party Sunday morning. The Acapella Campaniles we packed are headed to a buyer in California, soon to be replaced by the even bigger and heavier (880#/ea) Acapella Excaliburs.

In the meantime our host will have to content himself listening only to that very musical octave between 16 and 32hz through the 21" Cabasse subwoofers. I offered to loan him a pair of the $45 Best Buy Insignia standmount speakers until his new ones are delivered, but he declined.

Re: Packing Really Big Speakers [message #3980 is a reply to message #3979] Mon, 11 December 2006 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
It sure looks like a job not to be undertaken by the faint of heart Those re some beautiful speakers. I'm sure they sound every bit as good as they look.

There isn't anything like them around where I live for sure. Looks like a tight squeeze going through a door. Thank you for sharing pictures of the speakers.

Mike

Re: Packing Really Big Speakers [message #3981 is a reply to message #3980] Mon, 11 December 2006 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Super groovy cool! Packing up stuff this big and complicated is a booger, isn't it? Looks like the crating is good. Hope the truck crew gets it there in good shape.

Re: I could use your experience Fred. BYOBG [message #3982 is a reply to message #3979] Mon, 11 December 2006 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bring Your Own Ben-Gay!

I'm expecting to send back the 1812's sometime in the very New Year.

4 Crates totalling 1450 lbs.

Everybody's invited.

Re: Packing Really Big Speakers [message #3983 is a reply to message #3980] Mon, 11 December 2006 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If they had been mine, lifting those 200# upper woofer sections from the top of each tower would have caused a heart attack, but everything went well. At least four of the people there are dealers of very high end equipment, including the local Acapella dealer, who know how to move heavy components without damaging them, and everybody else (except me) owns very heavy & obscenely expensive speakers.

It's quite a system. The power conditioners are Isocleans, the sources are a Rockwell turntable and an Exemplar Audio modified Denon universal player, the preamp is an Einstein, the amps are Parasound Halo monoblocks, the new speakers will be Acapella Triolon Excaliburs, and the subwoofers are two Cabasse monsters with 21" drivers. Of course the cables alone cost more than my entire system. Poverty sucks!

Re: Packing Really Big Speakers [message #3984 is a reply to message #3983] Mon, 11 December 2006 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Here I thought I was the only one with a pedestrian system

Re: I could use your experience Fred. BYOBG [message #3986 is a reply to message #3982] Thu, 14 December 2006 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I received a thank-you message from the owner: "You will be happy to know that the shipper picked up the speakers yesterday and that they are on the way to Sacramento. For future reference the total weight was 1385# and the cost of shipping them with insurance was about $1500."

So I know I'm good for 1385#, but I don't know about 1450#:) Have you considered the fact that no speaker will ever sound good enough in your system after listening to the 1812's for a few months?

Re: I could use your experience Fred. BYOBG [message #3987 is a reply to message #3986] Thu, 14 December 2006 19:40 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No problem.
Let's see, 2 JBL 2441's, $1000
I already have a pair of 2123's.
Pair of 2442's, another grand.
2360 horns, $700
2405's, $600
crossover maybe $300?

$4000 and a whopping big cabinet.
No problem.
But my little living room has been held hostage long enough.

Previous Topic: UTAH 12/3" antique speakers
Next Topic: Thanksgiving gave Steve and I time to spend another great day together at the bench
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 09:22:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio