Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New Participant
New Participant [message #39738] Sun, 05 January 2003 15:01 Go to next message
danmarshall is currently offline  danmarshall
Esquire
Hi all,

I just discovered this site today, thanks to a link posted on the Sound Practices discussion group (joelist) in which I have been a participant for perhaps five years. Perhaps there are some joelist participants here. Anyway, I am a retired EE with audio as a hobby, off and on, for the past 50 years. My interests lie mainly in power amps (tube amps for the past several years, SE and PP, but mainly SE) and speakers. I have bought and sold quite an appreciable number of speakers over the last few years, ranging from TAD HF drivers to Tannoy Golds ((which I used as my primary speakers for some 30 years) to quite a few larger JBLs, Altecs and Peaveys to several of the more rare and exotic full range speakers, on down to whatever. It would take far too long to go into detail.

Anyway, my interest here is learning about the π speaker designs. I perused the various designs and noted something that was somewhat troubling. Perhaps someone can comment further. e.g., the delta 15 states a Qts of something like 1.61, as I recall. It is common knowledge that this to far too high a value to work properly in any kind of conventional enclosure, either sealed, ported, or horn. So, how does the π design differ from other designs with regard to allowing the use of such a high value of Qts. My intuition (and TS simulation) tells me that the bass response of such a speaker should sound entirely wretched. Some of the horn designs look to be little different than a common duct loaded speaker facing into the corner. Anyway, it escapes me how acceptable performance can be expected from a speaker with such a high Qts.

I have a pair of 18 inch peavey speakers that might be suitable for one of these designs. Are the plans available separately? They are currently listed on eBay with no bids, so if they do not sell I would like to explore using them in one of the π designs. If anyone has direct experience with this speaker (Black Widow 1808-8) in any of the &pi designs, I would welcome their comments.

Dan Marshal

Re: New Participant [message #39739 is a reply to message #39738] Sun, 05 January 2003 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
I searched e-bay and did not see an auction for the Pi plans. E-bay can requrie very specific searches somtimes and some things are not easy to find in a search. I hope that you are mistaken, but it would not surpirse me.

The Pi plans should not be sold by anybody except Wayne Parham an I doubt that he has begun listing them on e-bay. Wayne gives the speaker plans to anybody who request them. He will e-mail them to you. This is very unfortunate as it is people doing things like this that will really screw-up a good thing!

Re: New Participant [message #39740 is a reply to message #39739] Sun, 05 January 2003 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi,

You apparently misunderstood my post. I did not mention the plans being listed on eBay, rather, I asked whether the plans were available separately. What I did mention was that if my Peavey 18 inch speakers did not sell on eBay, perhaps I would consider the π design for enclosures for them, as the design, apparently, by virtue that some models use high Qts speakers, can accommodate speakers with fairly high Qts.

Dan Marshall

Just ask [message #39741 is a reply to message #39738] Sun, 05 January 2003 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Dan, and welcome. The archives here will give you a direction on which designs to try but the Theatre and Thermionics are the most tube friendly. I have built Theatre 4's and 2 Pi's.
You've probably seen the "you have mail" posts from Wayne. He'll e-mail you the plans.
Your opinion on the Qts of the Delta 15 is great because not only is it an "I told Wilbur and I told Orville..." sort of thing 'cause so many of us love the bass response of the Delta but because some of the participants, and Wayne, are in a position to debate that point.
I'm not. I turn big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood.
Re: New Participant [message #39743 is a reply to message #39740] Sun, 05 January 2003 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Thanks for straightening that out, I glad that I did misunderstand you and sorry for the mix-up.
Re: New Participant [message #39745 is a reply to message #39738] Sun, 05 January 2003 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Eminence Delta 15 speaker motor has Qts of 0.5, which is rather high but nothing like 1.6. I think you might be thinking of the large format Alpha series parts, which have unusually high Qts although not quite 1.6. The Alpha 12 has Qts of 0.7 and the Alpha 15 is 1.2.

As I'm sure you're aware, the secret to using high Q motors is to use an open baffle or very large box. If they are installed in small boxes, the system will be underdamped, and as motor Q gets higher, optimal box size increases towards infinity. Accordingly, the cabinets for models using Alpha 15's are very large.

Re: New Participant [message #39747 is a reply to message #39738] Sun, 05 January 2003 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Pi forum. The Black Widows have similar T/S specs to some JBL speakers. I haven't used the 1808's but I have run 1505's before. They sound pretty good and if you end up keeping them they will be a good place to start. The 1505's had a good range and a clean sound, but I gave them up for JBL 2226's which have a little more punch and better dynamics.

Bill

Re: New Participant [message #39748 is a reply to message #39745] Sun, 05 January 2003 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Yes, I misspoke, I should have stated the Alpha series. I was going from memory, which is apparently not functioning well tonight. The Alpha 15 data sheet states a Qts of 1.26, though not 1.61 as quoted, it is still exceedingly high. It is still a wonderment how such a high Qts can be properly loaded, short of using a humungous enclosure. I suppose it could be mechanically damped to lower the Qts.

Dan Marshall

Re: New Participant [message #39761 is a reply to message #39748] Mon, 06 January 2003 12:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's right. Cabinets for Alpha 15's must be very large or open.

Previous Topic: 2 pi towers - wiring question
Next Topic: Theater 4 passively biamped
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 14:10:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout