Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2-pi evaluation
2-pi evaluation [message #39708] Fri, 03 January 2003 18:15 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi all,
I have opportunity to run a pair of 2-pi's I have in my possesion. My equipment is as follows: Sony 608ESD CD player/McIntosh MX-113 tuner preamp(solid state) driving Dynaco ST-70 (stock). My previous speaker system was JBL 2226J/Altec 806A on 811B horn using Wayne's stock crossover. TillE came to visit today(Great guy he is). We listened to 4-pi pro's and then we connected the 2-pi's.
What follows here is my opinion not TillE's, I will let TillE post his story so we can all hear different points of interest on this.
While the 2 pi's can't really hold a candle to the 4-pi's, I can't recommend a better speaker for the money. The bass is very good when I use the "loudness" kicked in except for bass-heavy music (Foreplay for ex). I found the piezo a little to sharp and forward though. I took a plastic lens from a pair of Sansui speakers (ala JBL style), that helped a little. These 10" Eminence are not fully broke in yet, so I can imagine the bass will become much more impressive and the speaker may relax a bit. The bass seems almost as low as the 4-pi's but without the "larger-than-life" feeling that the JBL 2226's deliver, but figure that a 2226 costs roughly $350.00 apiece plus shipping and handling from Parts Express and the 2-pi's cost that much for a pair of speakers, they definitely are very cost-effective for the money. I will play them for awhile to finish break-in, and then post a more descriptive evaluation.
These will never replace my 4-pi's, but for someone on a budget, this is your speaker. (I think the 2-pi towers will probably be much better judging from the woofer response in the Studio version which has much more bass than I expected from the Eminence 10" driver).
Let me know what other 2-pi owners think, and I think I may tweak the crossover a little(I know there is really not one, but you know what I mean, there is room to refine this speaker with excellent results)
Regards, Ron

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message