Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » speaker cover
speaker cover [message #39686] Wed, 01 January 2003 20:21 Go to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Hello Wayne. I have one of my 2 Pi towers complete and since it will be in my sons bedroom we dicided that we will probably want to protect the 10" driver.

Can you recomend something to cover it with to protect it? Maybe a round cover like you put over a car door speaker... I dunno, what do you think. I guess I could get some cloth and stretch it over the driver but I thought there is probably something simpler and better.
Thanks again Wayne

Re: speaker cover [message #39687 is a reply to message #39686] Wed, 01 January 2003 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There are several different options that are excellent for grilles.

Here are some ideas for you:

1. Mesh
2. Foam
3. Framed cloth
4. Framed wicker

Mesh grilles are easiest, and very durable. Those are the kind you find in the prosound and autosound markets. Basically, you just buy a grille that's premade for the driver size and bolt it on over the speaker. They're held on by the same screws that mount the driver.

Foam grilles are also easy. Some are premade to fit, others are cut to fit. Basically, you just use a coarse foam like is often used for air filters, except air filters usually use a dense foam. There are a variety of styles and patterns available, and you attach it with velcro.

Framed grilles are made like a picture frame, with a material stretched over them. They are usually attached with snap-fit fasteners that must be installed in the loudspeaker cabinet and the mating pieces in the grille frame. Alternately, light framed grilles can be attached with velcro. There are a variety of grille cloths available, some that have a distinctly "retro" look and others that are more modern.

Some of the guys here have made some really cool grilles. Check out the speakers on Danny Beardsley's "π Pics" site for some neat ideas in this regard.

Re: speaker cover [message #39690 is a reply to message #39687] Thu, 02 January 2003 05:47 Go to previous message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Thanks for the ideas!
Previous Topic: 2 Pi Questions
Next Topic: Question for Wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 06:21:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio