Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio 1 pi as corner horn
Studio 1 pi as corner horn [message #39646] Mon, 30 December 2002 16:47 Go to next message
Mike Centracchio is currently offline  Mike Centracchio
Chancellor
Wayne, could a studio 1 pi be maid into a corner
horn similar to your other horns?
Just a though. Turn it around, and put a back on it similar
to corner horns.
Mike
Re: Studio 1 pi as corner horn [message #39651 is a reply to message #39646] Mon, 30 December 2002 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You certainly could do this. I've built a few little tiny speakers in this configuration. There is one thing though - When the midrange and vocal overtones come from a rear-firing driver, then those with rising response are better suited for this kind of application; Adding a midrange driver to the front is even better. So if you plan on building a cornerhorn with a piezo in front, I'd probably forego the inductor in series with the midwoofer, to allow the rising response of the Alpha 10 to be generated without attenuation.
Re: Studio 1 pi as corner horn [message #39652 is a reply to message #39651] Mon, 30 December 2002 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Centracchio is currently offline  Mike Centracchio
Chancellor
Thanks for the advice Wayne.
What if I use a CTS ksn1142a piezo mounted in a horn
lense on the front.
are you suggesting to leave out the 0.5m h inductor
that is in your plan?
Mike
Re: Studio 1 pi as corner horn [message #39654 is a reply to message #39652] Mon, 30 December 2002 22:50 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If you are planning to have the midrange covered solely by the rear-firing midwoofer, then I would expect better performance without a series inductor. But I think it might be even better still to have a forward-facing midrange. In this case, you would probably want to crossover the rear-firing woofer to match. Blend the two in the lower midrange, and they'll smooth each other and reduce floor bounce.
Previous Topic: Woofer Question
Next Topic: Stands for 2 Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 16:40:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout