Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Woofer Question
Woofer Question [message #39640] Mon, 30 December 2002 15:44 Go to next message
micahr is currently offline  micahr
Esquire
Hi,

I'm new to this froum, but it seems like the right place to post this. I have a pair of '85 Boston Acoustics A60's (1" tweeter/*" woofer) and the foam is starting to detiorate on one of the woofers. I was wondering-should I replace the woofers or get them re-foamed? I've been looking at the speakers that partsexpress.com sells, and it seems that I would get much better speakers (ie made with better materials and speaker technology)for the money. If anything, can anyone provide some links for where to get new speakers or to get my old ones re-foamed? Thanks!

Re: Woofer Question [message #39642 is a reply to message #39640] Mon, 30 December 2002 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Whoops-I'll repost this in the speaker forum, looks like this is a more specialized forum.
Woofer Answer [message #39643 is a reply to message #39640] Mon, 30 December 2002 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If all that is wrong is the surround, I would repair the woofers you already have. Call David Miller at Speakerworks, and tell him I sent you his way. The phone number is (918) 664-6299.

You can buy the surround material and glue yourself, as this isn't a difficult job. But I would prefer to send them to David and let him do it. Shipping won't cost much if you're in the USA, and you'll know the job has been done right.

This will mean that you'll be without the use of your speakers for a while, but you'll have 'em back in about a week. Just remove the woofers, pack them carefully and send them to Speakerworks. They're inexpensive and they do good work.

Open forum [message #39644 is a reply to message #39642] Mon, 30 December 2002 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Nope, we're an open forum here.

Open to our friends, anyway.

[grin]

So make yourself at home, friend!

Re: Woofer Answer [message #39645 is a reply to message #39643] Mon, 30 December 2002 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the quick response-I guess this was a good forum to post in! I'll be sure and call him after the holidays. Can you answer me something that I haven't been able to determine in my speaker building/repair ignorance. What are the advantages of rebuilding an old speaker versus getting a new one made out of newer materials and a more modern speaker design technolgy (of course I assume that newer means better design-please correct me if I'm wrong)? Thanks again for the response.

Micah

Re: Woofer Answer [message #39649 is a reply to message #39645] Mon, 30 December 2002 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree with you, all other things equal, a newer loudspeaker can be expected to perform better than an old one. People don't generally promote a product that is inferior to an existing model, at least successful people don't. So one can generally expect newer technologies to be superior to older ones. And where speakers are concerned, I have found this to be true. It is an incremental thing, no "leaps and bounds" improvements. And there are some truly excellent products from 20, 30, 40 years ago and more. But all in all, take a JBL speaker from 40 years ago and compare it with the current product offered for the same market today, and improvements are evident.

But there are a couple of advantages that are still obvious for you.

1. Cost
2. Compatibility

You can expect the repair to cost less than a replacement, particularly if surrounds are the only problem. And since the cabinet and crossover were designed for this woofer, you will get best performance staying in a certain "window" of parameters near to that of the original part. If you simply repair the existing woofer, you will know that its characteristics will be appropriate. But if you choose to replace the woofer, you'll want to find those that are compatible.

Re: Woofer Answer [message #39653 is a reply to message #39649] Mon, 30 December 2002 22:28 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne! I really appreciate your help.
Previous Topic: 2 pi Tower Plans
Next Topic: Studio 1 pi as corner horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 17:24:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout