Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Stomberg Carlson really cool tube amp on 4-pi pro/Altec
Stomberg Carlson really cool tube amp on 4-pi pro/Altec [message #39604] Thu, 26 December 2002 17:19 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,
Finally got a chance to play with the speakers lately, along with the opportunity to hear a rare Stomberg Carlson ASP-422 tube amp on loan from a good friend of mine. The ASP-422 has 6DY7's for outputs and put out a sweet 20 watts per channel. The output tube has a dual-pentode in each envelope.
The speaker system is modified by using a JBL 3677 cabinet(foam removed from both ports), replace the M115 woofer with a 2226J(I have more 16 ohm than 8 ohm 2226's and I like tubes)
I left the horn/driver in the cabinet, but not hooked up right now(I have been breadboarding this system as I go) I have Altec 811B horns driven by 806A drivers (16 ohm), my time alignment is off just a tad, but cabinet is only 11" deep, so hard without mechanical support, I have foam that supports and lightly damps one side.
I use Waynes Pi crossover (14 ohm and 30 ohm with .47 for little earlier response curve, I also have 30 ohm resistor across the 16 ohm horn driver.
First off, I don't have the perfect room(12' X 16' X 8' ceiling), drywall and paneling on back wall. full floor carpeting. Second, I strive for least amount of listening fatigue, naturalness of sound.
And last not least, I am hobbyist, not a purist(one who does everything by the book)
I have to say, these speakers were sounding excellant. The bass was not always perfect like a Moth S45 I heard at my house, but really close. The Altec horn/drivers were twice as good on the top octave than the stock JBL 2418/2373 horn/driver that is stock for the 3677's YMMV.
It is nice to sample many systems in my house, especially the really nice ones I can't afford like the Moth S45. This system brings back good old retro sound I have not heard in awhile. (Okay, I am a little biased, I had a part in tweaking the speakers with help from a lot of you inmates who hung in there while I asked question after question, Thanks to all of you.
By the way, the reason I was playing with the Altecs with the pi crossover, and the JBL 2226 is for the Altec A-8 Voice of the Theatre cabinet that I have a duplicate set of drivers for (except the 32B horn vice the 811B, will fill you in when I do the make-over.
Regards, Ron

Re: Stomberg Carlson really cool tube amp on 4-pi pro/Altec [message #39605 is a reply to message #39604] Thu, 26 December 2002 22:57 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow! That's some cool stuff!

I've had my eyes on some old Stomberg-Carlson radios; There's been a couple that I've wanted to buy but let 'em pass by. I've got an old Stewart-Warner - It's different, sort of apples and oranges, I suppose. But those old brand names are just something special to me.

Previous Topic: What's going on in Pi world, eh?
Next Topic: subwoofers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 02:05:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout