Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » More lows or more highs for live sound??????
More lows or more highs for live sound?????? [message #39430] Tue, 10 December 2002 19:05 Go to next message
Don17 is currently offline  Don17
Chancellor

I'm trying to build a killer lodspeaker array for live sound applications. should I focus on Mid-Highs or the lows. If Mid-Highs, I planned to build a clone of the JBL 4628B from the long extinct cabaret series. (I think it was one of the best 3-way systems JBL ever made IMHO) So tell me what you think. All Opions are welcomed.

-Don

Re: More lows or more highs for live sound?????? [message #39431 is a reply to message #39430] Tue, 10 December 2002 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Man, I don't think you can skimp on either end of the spectrum. I think the top octave is sometimes hard to hit, and the biggest systems often don't extend out to 20kHz, usually being somewhere between 10kHz and 16kHz for upper cutoff. That's OK, pretty common really. Where you'll have most of your difficulty, I think, is summing through the crossover region, both on-axis and off-axis. This is the part that is most often overlooked in DIY speakers.
Re: More lows or more highs for live sound?????? [message #39435 is a reply to message #39430] Wed, 11 December 2002 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
The 4628 had an E-145 15", an 8" cone mid, and a 2404 baby butt, I believe. Nice stuff, but would you explain exactly what you are envisioning when you say you want to use them in an array?
Re: More lows or more highs for live sound?????? [message #39440 is a reply to message #39435] Wed, 11 December 2002 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don17 is currently offline  Don17
Chancellor

I want to use them in like 2 arrays of three to 4 cabinets for live band applications with differnt church groups and organizations. In this situation reproducing vocals clearly and free of distortion is very crucial. Amplifying the instruments is important too, but not as important as the vocals. The JBL 4628B Performs quite well in live sound applications, being capable of producing decent low end without subs.

(Remember I'm only 17. I have a budget 10 times smaller than what most of us here have so i gotta work with the speakers that i have such as using JBL E-140's for general-purpose low end.)

Re: More lows or more highs for live sound?????? [message #39536 is a reply to message #39440] Wed, 18 December 2002 13:52 Go to previous message
stevencj is currently offline  stevencj
Esquire
You have a very nice cabinet with sweet sound and accuracy. I would consider it a high powered stereo speaker and very good for short range projection.
I have 4-JBL 4691B the 2-way version of yours. They have the D-140 and a 2426J 1" HF driver. I bought a pair new in 1986 for about 1500.00. I also bought a used pair in the 90's for about 600.00. I still have them and just converted them to speakon connectors keeping the 1/4 inch ones as well. I found that during the vocal test the 2-way 4691B produced the vocals with much more throw as far as projection in a medium to large room. In the test your cabinet sounded excellent up close but the vocals became harder to understand and did not stick out nearly as well across the room. If you want projection you may want to consider a HF horn and driver or add one to what you have got. Hope this helps!
Steve Johnson, Steve's Audio Plus
Previous Topic: Ping Jsalve, Steve, Wayne
Next Topic: STAGE SERIES SEVEN PI CORNER HORN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 16:24:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers