Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Requests request
Requests request [message #39494] Mon, 16 December 2002 12:52 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm loooking for requests for material during the Lima event. Some of us have discussed this privately, via E-Mail, and there's been a lot of good ideas as a result. One of the most attractive ideas is a list of requests for things like music, movies and equipment.

What we'd like to do is all throw ideas up here for equipment configurations, musical selections and movies that we'd like to experience. Then, we can make a schedule that allows the most "coverage" of material and equipment everyone wants to see and hear.

Obviously, not all equipment choices will be possible, but between all of us, I think many examples of technologies can be represented. I can bring stock Paramours and a couple of solid state amps, obviously I can also bring some models of speakers. I'm not sure how big a load I'll take, but I have a lot of things I'd like to bring. I'd love to see others gear too, after all, this is sort of like a "show and tell" deal.

What has been suggested, and I think is a great idea, is that we setup specific systems for a period of time, and then have a scheduled playlist. For example, perhaps Saturday from 1:00pm to 4:00pm will be Paramours and tower two π's, and after receiving music and video requests, we can make a schedule of material too. Maybe we'll even have two rooms setup having different equipment and schedules for more variety and availability. Perhaps at 7:00pm, we'll have a movie and maybe another at 10:00pm, and for those movies, we can swap out to seven π's on Crown power. Or maybe a little Harman Kardon "store-bought" system or push-pull tubes would be nice for trying the home theater experience on gear like that.

So please make lists of music material, individual songs, whole records and bands you'd like to hear. Tell us what kinds of equipment you'd like to see and hear, and if you have equipment that you can "donate" for a particular time segment, we welcome participants. Any of you that would make your equipment and/or rooms available would be appreciated, we encourage this and would like to add your systems to the schedule.

Man, this is gonna be sooooo cool!

Re: Requests request [message #39496 is a reply to message #39494] Mon, 16 December 2002 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Sounds like a plan!
For most of the rooms, it's a bit hectic at times, so we try to post an update on a dry erase board so people know what's there/what's going on. As you might expect, it's pretty fluid, as when suspect B walks into the room and says "what about X?" and cables fly and we're off to the next configuration. If nothing else, lots of these guys are experts at QUICKLY SETTING UP AND TEARING DOWN systems!!

HAR!

Re: Requests request [message #39499 is a reply to message #39496] Mon, 16 December 2002 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Cool beans. There are several people that have already asked to bring their own gear, to swap in and listen to various combinations. When we have something that solidifies, I'll be sure to post it and send you an E-Mail. That way you can include the activities of the "π guys" on the chalk board.

How are most people handling the various systems and activities planned in their rooms?

Re: Requests request [message #39503 is a reply to message #39499] Tue, 17 December 2002 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
My experience is that it depends on the nature of the individual running the room. Some guysEdgar, for example, is there to wring out the best they can get from one system in a given room, so they don't want to mess with it when they ahve it dialed in. Others want to hear a variety of interactions of gear and have fun with that. Once you can tell that interest is waning in a setup, it's fun to mix it up......
Sounds Familiar! [message #39507 is a reply to message #39499] Tue, 17 December 2002 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Sounds like the average New England Valve Club meeting! ;-)

It's pretty wide open, since guys bring lots of different gear. The trick is to put a sequence of combinations and sequences of changes together that will sound good, and be both informative and entertaining.

We might start out holding source, pre and speakers constant and run through a string of amps, then swap some tube on the amp we liked best, then run through a series of speakers. It's always time to change when the chatter level over-runs the music.

Flexible yet coherent - a tough combo!

You've got the personality/goals of the room "host", the gear on hand, and the personalities/goals of the "visitor" to meld together. Not simple, is it? I suspect it helps if everyone keeps firmly in mind that this should be BIG FUN!

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Re: Requests request [message #39522 is a reply to message #39494] Tue, 17 December 2002 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Living in an Apt. as I do reqires a lot of listening to Bach guitar transcriptions, concertos for nose flute and the No Brass Orchestra of Saarbruchengeheim and of course Bo-Peep Levine singing and playing twelve string zither covers of Judy Collins versions of Joan Baez songs.
SO I WANT TO HEAR 10,000 WATTS OF PURE CROWN POWER CRANKED TO 3 O'CLOCK PLAYING CREAM "IM SO GLAD"!!!!!!!!!
"Ginger Baker, Please............"
"Jack Bruce, Please .........."

Re: Requests request [message #39525 is a reply to message #39522] Tue, 17 December 2002 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Great ideas! We'll be sure to put that on the list. No doubt!

I have a few requests, and I'm sure I'll add more later. But for sure, I want to play Tool's version of "No Quarter". I'd also like to see at least one high-energy movie, perhaps two. Something like one of the Star Trek movies or Matrix or something like that. Those are things that I could really get into.

On the other side, I'd kinda like to play a song or two of Glenn Miller, particularly when we're running tubes. And, of course, a bit of Ludwig Van.

The London Symphony performed the "Immortal Beloved" soundtrack, and I particularly like the last one, "Symphony #9 in D minor" - "Ode to Joy" from that soundtrack. Probably the most moving song for me is "Symphony #7 in A major" and there are a couple of great piano-only pieces, "Fur Elise" being the most popular. So I'd like to hear some of those when we hook up the tubes, maybe on the transistors too.

Re: Ludwig von [message #39527 is a reply to message #39525] Tue, 17 December 2002 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Who's got the soundtrack to Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange?"
Re: Requests request [message #39528 is a reply to message #39494] Tue, 17 December 2002 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
How bout the bank scene in Swordfish?
maybe a little pink floyd, Jimmy Smith, Some swing.
Note to self [message #39554 is a reply to message #39494] Thu, 19 December 2002 23:56 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Note to self:

(Put it here and it's easy to search for, anywhere else and it's lost forever.)

Don't forget some Genesis

Previous Topic: I just got beat by a couple of 4 Pi's!!!!!
Next Topic: enclosure handles - good idea?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 23:46:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio