Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Good Article on Pro recording...
Good Article on Pro recording... [message #39429] Tue, 10 December 2002 18:37 Go to next message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
Hi Everyone,

Are there any other Rush fans here? I am a big fan of Neil Peart because when I'm not enjoying listening to my Four Pi's, I'm probably playing my drums. Although I like the new Vapor Trails CD for the most part, I have found it less than satisfying to listen to and couldn't really pinpoint why. I was just surfing the 'net tonight and I found this article on ProRec.com that I'd thought some of you might find interesting. Just follow the link below.

Colin

Good Stuff... [message #39432 is a reply to message #39429] Tue, 10 December 2002 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Rush brings back some good memories. 'Bout 25 years ago, I listened to them a lot, enough that I sort of burned out on them. Nothing against them at all, I'm just prone to listening to something I like so much that after about five or ten years, man, I've just heard it too much. This is the way I've been with a handful of truly excellent bands, including Yes, Genesis, the Moody Blues, Todd Rundgren and Rush. I've got vinyl in pristine condition of each of their albums, even some of the rare and obscure ones, of each of those bands up though the early eighties.

I always thought Peart was the best. Who wouldn't? He's certainly one of the very best, and I doubt that anyone would disagree, no matter their musical tastes. And as for Rush, the memories are strong for songs like "Working Man", "Lakeside Park", "I Think I'm Going Bald", "In the Mood", "Bastille Day" and "By-Tor the Snow Dog". Man, now that I think about it, that's a long list and just from the first three albums. But of course, my favorites were the entire albums, "2112" and "A Farewell to Kings", especially "Cinderella Man", "Cygnus X-1" and "Closer to the Heart." Then again, the "Hemispheres" album was excellent and when Rush morphed ever so slightly into the 80's, their songs "Red Barchetta" and "Tom Sawyer" from the "Moving Pictures" album were both just really cool. God, there's just a lot of good material there. Maybe it's time to revisit Rush for a season.

Honestly, Rush was what I listened to when I felt a bit of "an edge" in my youth. Now days, there's another band that has this same technical metal feel, and it's like got an edge on an edge. I don't know if you listen to Tool, and it's probably a bit - to use a speaker word - it's a bit "forward". 'Nother speaker word, a little bit of "shout," like on Album 1, Track 2. Politely and misleadingly called "Hush." Politely played on my π's at 1200 watts when some guy over on HE starts bashing my buddies with his sockpuppets. I guess Ivan's right, I can cop a 'tude.

But Tool's good, when your day is moving too fast, coffee's flowing and adrenaline pumping. Then again, sometimes they surprise you with a song that's on the safe side of the cliff, and the contrast is then so strong, it makes the music sound as though it were two octaves lower than normal and abnormally slow. Here's one of 'em, and you gotta check it out, even if you aren't in to Led Zepplin or Tool. On their self-titled music/video box set, they do a version of Zepplin's "No Quarter" that is absolutely outstanding. I didn't think the rest of the material was all that great, and I've got everything that Tool and Perfect Circle did. But the one song is worth the price. Get it, and check it out - Tell me if you don't think that it's powerful.

didn't mention "Fly By Night"(1975)nt [message #39436 is a reply to message #39432] Wed, 11 December 2002 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
nt
Re: Good Article on Pro recording... [message #39470 is a reply to message #39429] Sat, 14 December 2002 04:13 Go to previous message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Thanks for the post and the link.

Like many of you, I've been seriously in to audio for decades, starting before digital anything. And like many I still have my favorite recordings from the 60's and 70's, although my taste has changed to more classical and jazz.

I love to rant about modern recording techniques, but since I don't listen to current rock or rap I missed this compression/saturation phenom (haven't heard it on classical/jazz recordings). My complaints of modern recording techniques include miking too close (I don't want to sit on Eric Clapton's lap or have my head inside a piano to listen).

Just add this one to the list of "hyper reality" recording industry practices. These seem to reflect a society that's into extremes. Maybe I'm just an old fart.

Previous Topic: What's your cure for daily 8 hours of Christmas music, I'm listening to...
Next Topic: Plans for 2 Pi Tower
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 08:29:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout