Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Three way I Pi combo
Three way I Pi combo [message #39321] Tue, 03 December 2002 08:19 Go to next message
D. Kurfman is currently offline  D. Kurfman
Chancellor
General question, inspired in part by the fact that the PSD-3303 is unavailable and still requires a fairly high cross-over.

Why not use the Delta 15, and combine it with a I PI, all in a single box. This could be configured somewhat like the old JBL 4698b Cabaret but with a lower cross-over. I was going to suggest the Omega 18 but the efficiency mismatch is 2db which would mess things up. If the cross-over from the 15 to the 8 was about 300 hz then passive components would not need to be very large or expensive, the sensitivity would match, and yet the midrange would not be compromised. At the same time, I would think midrange power handling would be sufficient for almost any kind of music. The piezo tweeter obviously fills in the top end. Seems like the 115 db you mentioned in a previous thread for the piezo out to the top end would be more than sufficient for this limited frequency range. Wouldn't quite match a Cornwall for efficiency but ought to be flatter, especially on top.

Thoughts?

Three-way π speakers [message #39323 is a reply to message #39321] Tue, 03 December 2002 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You could do that, sure. That's a great idea, actually. I have designs for speakers just like you've mentioned, some with Eminence 8" and 10" format midwoofers and some with JBL 2012 and 2123 large format mids. Until the early nineties, all π speakers with a woofer larger than 10" were three-way designs. This configuration is really attractive for cornerhorns and there are several participants on this forum that have 'em built that way.

Probably my favorite seven π of all time was the 1980's model, having a 2205, 2105's in front and back and a 2405. That was one I owned myself for several years, so maybe that's why it became my favorite. I've considered bringing out an "audiophile series" with this configuration, instead of my earlier plans to provide a TAD-based product offering of the same name. So I'm with you 100% on that one - It's a great design choice and its only drawback is increased parts count and another crossover point.

Re: Three-way π speakers [message #39331 is a reply to message #39323] Wed, 04 December 2002 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Wayne,

Would you be willing to share your crossover schemo and values for such a beast, since it seems you worked out just what I'm chasing: TAD 1602 xo @ 300hz to JBL 2123 xo @ 1.2-2.4khz to TAD 2001 in Martinelli classic horn?

(Early recos were for 3k when I was going with the Eminence driver, but the 2001 sounds good run pretty low, and I'm using SET amps.)

Thanks!

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Crossover for 3-way Pi system - and start of "Central Ohio Audio Group and friends" [message #39333 is a reply to message #39323] Wed, 04 December 2002 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
I too would like crossover design for 3-way. I would use the Eminence apt-80 tweeter (good from 3.5khz and up), would like to see the design good for Alpha 8 or 10 for mid, and Eminence woofer of choice would have to be Delta 15 for me. Using other 15" could be figured out with slight change of values, it's the mid and tweeter part that is difficult for me to get right.
I think the KSN-1038 would not be good in 3-way due to back EMF from woofer might interact with the piezo, don't know for sure, but have read previous posts aways back from those who had that problem.

I should have internet at home after the first of the year, and I will have a website that will follow the gang of people I know in Ohio, some of whom want me to start a group. I think, barring problems with naming conventions(should not be since I want informal group) the name will be: "Central Ohio Audio Group and friends" since I have some out of state folks who would be included in this ordeal. I am a rookie at this, but I think I will have the backing of some great people to help me out. Anyone who thinks they might have a interest in joining us, drop me a e-mail. This could start after the first of the year. I have a lot of talent available from folks who want to build tube amps/preamps and other neat equipment. I will have a classified section on the website for those who are looking to buy specialty items. Since this will not be a official group(at least for now, it will be a slow startup). Too many people have told me that they want a club in Ohio. Just think, we may be the second biggest audio group in Ohio next to the nicest guy I know to put on a show in Lima, our good friend and hell of a nice guy, Mike Baker. And yes, I will be there in Lima in April.
Thanks for listening to my long winded self.
Ron Semega email @ rsemega@cols.disa.mil if interested or just to comment.

Re: Crossover for 3-way Pi system - and start of "Central Ohio Audio Group and friends" [message #39338 is a reply to message #39333] Wed, 04 December 2002 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've had a crossover circuit board built to support a three-way design I've been working on. It uses a mid/tweeter crossover at 1.6kHz and a lower point at 250Hz. This works very well for π cornerhorns and is a similar configuration to many π Speaker designs that were very successful in the 80's.

See you in Lima!

Re: Three-way π speakers [message #39341 is a reply to message #39331] Wed, 04 December 2002 14:11 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If you want, I'll save you the trouble of building the crossovers and just sell you a pair.
Previous Topic: Eminence PS10 in 2 Pi tower - Wayne?
Next Topic: Edgar Salad Bowl Horns PSD2002 attachment method
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 08:09:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout