Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » a link to pics (4pi theater) and a note about crossover
a link to pics (4pi theater) and a note about crossover [message #39315] Mon, 02 December 2002 07:05 Go to next message
jrt@avalon.net is currently offline  jrt@avalon.net
Esquire
Hi Folks,

Over thanksgiving, I finally covered the ugly raw MDF of my Theater 4pi speakers with some almost-but-not-quite-as-ugly wallpaper. There not beautiful, but they sure look better. Pictures of them, and the rest of my stereo have been added to my website. I'd like to use words like 'splashy', and 'crashed onto the scene', but it's a pretty dull site, really.

Anyhoo, like several others here, after building the 4pi's I thought they sounded a tad bright. Not surprising considering its a small room with old-style plaster (read: concrete) and wood floors, etc.

My solution is that I've replaced one resistor in the tweeter compensation network with a 50 ohm job. Since there were four in there for R1 and for R2, I figured they are two sets in series and parallel. This should raise R1 (IIRC) from 16 to about 20 ohms. It works very well for me. The 'bite' on the top end is just removed, but the tonal balance remains. Ah, the joys of home-brew, eh? It sounds real (I mean REAL) good. And that's the whole point...

Thanks to Wayne and all here and on the other lists (Bottlehead, DIYHIFi, etc.) their posts- I mostly lurk, unless I really have something to say, but I do read and learn. And there's a lot to learn here.

Cheers,
Jason

Cool stuff! [message #39316 is a reply to message #39315] Mon, 02 December 2002 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I too find my 4 Pi's a bit "bright at times and have been kicking the notion of padding the horn down a bit...also I love your pre-amp.....I might be able to score a Foreplay preamp locally, it sounds good, my only reservation is that they are butt ugly...your wire monkey chassis gave me an idea...I have an old Harman Kardon tuner that's a dead player. I'll strip the innerds out, take out the tuner scale window stuff, stick the tubes in the hole ala Wiremonkey, stuff the Foreplay guts in somewhere, use some shaft extentions like the WM ones, use the existing HK knobs and save $139.00 US!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the idea.
Kelly
I love the internet!
Super! [message #39318 is a reply to message #39315] Mon, 02 December 2002 10:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Your speakers and your amps look great, glad they sound good too! They look cool in black, I must say. Thanks for giving us your impressions.
Previous Topic: Oddball note: Speaker cables, feedback loops and Spice
Next Topic: psd2002 vs psd3003
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 00:46:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout