Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » where's everybody?
where's everybody? [message #39289] Sat, 30 November 2002 18:46 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
did you all go all away for thanksgiving?

cheers,

george
music is best enjoyed with a good steak, vintage cabernet and a fat cigar.

Re: where's everybody? [message #39290 is a reply to message #39289] Sat, 30 November 2002 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EZ_Angus is currently offline  EZ_Angus
Chancellor

I've been hunched over my kitchen table, soldering like mad putting together my paramour kit. I am very very close but am confused by a couple things in the check out procedure.

Kevin

Re: where's everybody? [message #39291 is a reply to message #39289] Sat, 30 November 2002 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
How you doon', George?
And evrybody else!
After I cleaned up the mess from the dishwasher in the unit upstairs flooding my kitchen Thurs nite; after I cleaned up the mess from my sink drain backing up yesterday cause of the unit upstairs, I finally listened to the system with the Speakerman's favorite JBL 3677S with 2226J woofs and the 2418/2373 horn combo.
A dead quiet upgraded Foreplay connected to a dead quiet upgraded Paramour with TJ meshplates is all I need for now.
And I find the same great bass control, sweet mids and extended treble with JBL 16 ohm and 2.5 watts as Ron did. The Double Bass player on Diana's 'Love Scenes', Christian McBride, is no slouch.
But I wonder how the Pro 7's will sound? Yes, I've made up my mind. Unless I get the 511B's, in which case.....
Would you like to talk about it? nt [message #39292 is a reply to message #39290] Sat, 30 November 2002 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt
karlsons are..... [message #39293 is a reply to message #39289] Sat, 30 November 2002 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
sounding better. they are about 3db more efficient than my premium stage 4 pi's using the same woofer. i had to turn the low output down to get rid of the boominess. they go deeper but still seem a bit sluggish and compressed compare to my pi's, plus they take up a lot more real estate. i'm going back to the pi's. no more fooling around.

cheers,

george
music is best enjoyed with a good steak, vintage cabernet and a fat cigar.

Playing! [message #39294 is a reply to message #39289] Sat, 30 November 2002 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I had a great Thanksgiving, and I'm takin' it easy. Things usually get slow around major holidays but seems like maybe there's some gift buying going on or something 'cause all November was busier than normal. I dunno, but I'm not complaining.

I can't remember if Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving or not. Do you?

Those Karlson's Bill made for you look really cool. I've never messed around with 'em, but I assumed that they would work like bandpass boxes with the upper region shifted into the midrange instead of the bass. So the way you've described 'em makes perfect sense.

Sevens with 511's [message #39295 is a reply to message #39291] Sat, 30 November 2002 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Here's an excellent idea: Why not build some seven π's with 511's?

Paramours! [message #39296 is a reply to message #39290] Sat, 30 November 2002 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm really jealous. I still haven't received my Paramour kits. I read on the Bottlehead forum that Dan was getting caught up, but mine still aren't here. So I'm bummed.

But that gave me an opportunity to finish up the model for the 6DJ8 crossover we talked about. Steve Bench and I wrote back and forth for a while, and he showed me some web sites with modeling parameters for the 6DJ8 tubes, and a bunch of others. But then I went out and promptly lost 'em! So last night, I looked around and found them again and pretty much finished up the model.

Sorry I've been so slow, but you know how it is. As soon as I test the model some more, I'll send you a copy. It has sections for high-pass and low-pass, and also sections for response modification so each of these can be enabled or disabled easily for comparing response charts. It will be very handy for those wanting to put together active crossovers with appropriate compensation.

I think I tend to agree with you and some others that the 811 doesn't need compensation, at least with modern high-quality compression drivers. It looks like it should be used either as-is, or with maybe something like 6dB augmentation of the top octave, and no more. So it may be that you will not install compensation on your crossover anyway, I don't know. But if your compression driver needs a bit of a push in the top octave, you may take advantage of the information provided in these models. And certainly those running radial or tractrix horns will be able to take advantage of the compensation described by the models.

How was your Thanksgiving? And when do classes end for this semester? Now that I think about it, that probably doesn't matter - Do you and the rest of the faculty work through the break? I'm thinking it may be first of the year before we get a change to get together.

Theater 4's, Triodes and Triptophan... [message #39298 is a reply to message #39296] Sun, 01 December 2002 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
... it was mostly the latter for me! I've gone cold turkey for the last four or five days visiting my Mom and pigging out on home cookin' instead of dB's. Just got in a quad of Herbie's tube dampers to try on the Foreplay and Paramours. I used to be really into vibration control of my SS electronics in the not too distant past but gradually gave it up due to the new fun of tweaking tube gear and DIY loudspeakers. Used to have concrete racks, inflated hemmoroid pillows, sand boxes and slabs of marble, cones, squishy things, string and spring suspension and stuff all over the walls and ceiling. - Sounded great, BTW! But then came marriage #2 and down came the decorations and the concrete went back into the shed. I still have one sand box and one whoopee cushion and a few slabs o' marble (pretty stuff). But the last tweak was to put a few of the old tweaks back in with the new tube gear and hints of the old magic returned. I may be in for a round of vibration control play in the near future.
Wayne, Please keep us posted on the tube cross over design. One is going to be needed around here in the near future.

Happy Holidays, Guys and Gals (if applicable)!

Garland

I think they do,,, [message #39300 is a reply to message #39294] Sun, 01 December 2002 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
..celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada, albeit not at the same time as in the US - it's some weeks before I believe.
Previous Topic: FS/FT JBL Professional Series Woofers
Next Topic: 2Pi Tower question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 12 13:19:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout