Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Isobaric
Isobaric [message #39282] Fri, 29 November 2002 14:49 Go to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
Are there any disadvantages to Isobaric subs?

I've got a couple of Delta 15LF's around and I was thinking about making an isobaric setup with a box around 5 cuft and tuned to maybe 25hz... Should give same output as one Delta in a 10cuft box, just much less space right? (thinking about an endtable for a couch or something.

Re: Isobaric [message #39283 is a reply to message #39282] Fri, 29 November 2002 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
An isobaric pair acts like a single unit having a stronger motor coupled to higher mass. I suppose the biggest disadvantage is cost.
Re: Isobaric [message #39288 is a reply to message #39282] Sat, 30 November 2002 06:12 Go to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Yes, you're right Dbeardsl - you can half the (effective) volume that way, & maintain the tuning & -3dB point of a single driver in a box twice as big. There are basically two disadvantages: both the efficiency & the impedance will be halved too - the latter if you drive the units in parallel, which will be the right way to do it in order to maintain the damping factor. Both these drawbacks can be overcome by running the sub with a suitable amp - you can even get around the impedance halving by simply running the two drivers with seperate amps! But be sure to still run mono... :) & be carefull with the phase.

In my opinion the most effective way to use this concept is to simply mount the drivers 'face to face' on the frontplate, mounted from the inside/outside the box respectively - this is also easier to build & saves the most space btw.

Previous Topic: Spice models for tubes
Next Topic: 2Pi -3dB points revisited...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 22:26:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio