Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Eminence tweeter in 2 Pi towers
Eminence tweeter in 2 Pi towers [message #39207] Mon, 25 November 2002 14:17 Go to next message
rude52 is currently offline  rude52
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

You probably get sick of all the proposed "changes" to your designs, but I was just wondering what you thought of putting the APT50 (on whichever flare) into a Studio 2 Pi tower? I know that the Motorola Piezo is great for this speaker, but thought that this might be a cool experiment. The two devices have very similar frequency curves and roll off around 3.5 kHz but the APT is more sensitive (around 105 dB). I don't know if this would require a crossover or if the tweeter could just be attenuated to compensate and still run the drivers full range? Thanks for your help.

Rich

Re: Eminence tweeter in 2 Pi towers [message #39208 is a reply to message #39207] Mon, 25 November 2002 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
I've thought about this one too with the 90/90 degree flair. I'm sure that you would need a crossover for the tweeters. Compression drivers tend to self destruct with too low a freqency.

Dave

Re: Eminence tweeter in 2 Pi towers [message #39210 is a reply to message #39207] Mon, 25 November 2002 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You could certainly use an APT tweeter, and it would probably make a pretty good speaker. There are three things that make the Motorola KSN-1038 an attractive component - It performs well, it's inexpensive, and the implementation is simple. But much of this could probably be said of the Eminence APT tweeter too.

I suggest using the PXBII3K5 crossover and an attenuator on the tweeter circuit much like the cable assemblies used on the larger models of π Speakers having compression tweeters. You'll probably not need the bypass capacitor C1 for top octave compensation, but I'd still recommend analysis with Spice to ensure that the tweeter crossover filter isn't peaking or overdamped. You'll also want a Zobel on the woofer in this configuration and for the same reason.

Re: Eminence tweeter in 2 Pi towers [message #39232 is a reply to message #39210] Tue, 26 November 2002 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vladimir4 is currently offline  vladimir4
Chancellor
Hello,
do you have construction details for this PXBII3K5 eminence crossower ? I've got an inused pair of apt80 tweeters so I would
like to try to interchange them in my 2pi towers.
thanks,
v.

Re: Eminence tweeter in 2 Pi towers [message #39240 is a reply to message #39232] Tue, 26 November 2002 15:52 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Since you already have them - certainly, give it a go. They're pretty good little tweeters.
Previous Topic: Wayne ... 2pi bookshelf and tower plans?
Next Topic: 2Pi kit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 16:32:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout