Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » corner horn questions
corner horn questions [message #39146] Thu, 21 November 2002 12:08 Go to next message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
Hi,

With the Holidays coming up, I'm about to start working on the Seven Pi corner horns. First, a couple of questions:

Firstly, one corner of the room has baseboard heating along both adjacent walls. The heating protrudes 3" from the walls, and runs 9" up from the floor. Is this a problem for this design?

Thanks,

Len

corner horn answers [message #39152 is a reply to message #39146] Thu, 21 November 2002 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The room situation it isn't great but I think you'll still be pleased with your results. I'd rather see the cabinets flush with the walls, but this is a common issue and it doesn't reduce the bass too much.

Do make sure that the ducts do not rattle though - That's always an irritation. When you saturate the house with bass, you'll be surprised how many things begin to vibrate. Cabinets in the kitchen. The flush knob on the toilet. All kinds of stuff comes unglued. So you might do some rap tests on your heater ducts and see if they're gonna buzz, 'cause they'll be exposed to a lot of energy.

jigsaw time? [message #39160 is a reply to message #39152] Fri, 22 November 2002 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi guys,
I have wondered about cutting a filet from the outer middle mass of the rear supports(the dog house roof, if you put a 7Pi on its face)to clear a similar obstruction. This leaves support at top and bottom to suppress panel flex. If you did the rear uprights in heavy ply it would be solid. Essentially an arch with a triangle cross section.(STRONG) Wayne, do you think this would work. see pathetic attempt at ascii art below. If not here, maybe this will help a 7Pi live somewhere it might not have.

I reluctantly assume:
-Baseboard heaters dont meet in the corner. All I have seen come within 6" or so and stop. Hope I'm right.
-Because the supports and the corner behind them have the same shape, the acoustic penalty is small or none.
-The small heater being in the big throat should be ok, yes?

below represents 1 of the mirrored pair to be joined at 45 for the rear "spine". I truncated it to for sake of time, but I think the Idea conveys.

Later, Thomas

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Wayne! [message #39189 is a reply to message #39152] Sat, 23 November 2002 15:14 Go to previous message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
I really appreciate all your help.
Previous Topic: Finally Finished My 2 Pi Towers
Next Topic: 2 Pi Pic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 01:25:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio