Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Box sizes
Box sizes [message #39104] Mon, 18 November 2002 15:16 Go to next message
rude52 is currently offline  rude52
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

Maybe I just need to try to work Boxplot and PiAlign, but I thought I would ask a (hopefully) quick question. I saw the really nice yellow 4pi Pros down the board and I like the look of that speaker, probably because it is a smaller size. When I looked at the specs, it is quite a bit smaller than the Thermionic or Theater 3s and 4s, but I know the Pros aren't always recommended for SETs. So, is it possible to downsize the boxes (NOT just adjust dimensions) to give up some bass response and/or efficiency but still use the recommended components (ie. Eminence alphas and PSD2002)?? Or are the components too sensitive to cabinet size and the Pro components just work better in a smaller box?? Thanks for your help.

Rich

Re: Box sizes [message #39107 is a reply to message #39104] Mon, 18 November 2002 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Don't try to use Eminence Alphas or Deltas in small boxes. They all have relatively high Q, especially the larger Alphas. This requires a large box or bass will be peaky. The Omegas and JBL 22xx woofers can be put in smaller boxes, because they have lower Q.
Re: Box sizes [message #39126 is a reply to message #39107] Tue, 19 November 2002 09:21 Go to previous message
rude52 is currently offline  rude52
Esquire
Thanks Wayne!

Your answer was just about what I expected. Maybe I'll make some mock (cardboard) 3s or 4s to see if I can live with the size and then take the jump and put some together. Later

Rich

Previous Topic: Fotos of my visit to the Speakerman57
Next Topic: 1 Pi update, brief review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 19:03:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers