Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » A fun evening!
A fun evening! [message #39084] Sun, 17 November 2002 01:02 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
This was a fun evening, 'cause I sort of "took the night off." Instead of working on any projects, Alona and I went up to the little warehouse studio and took a few DVD's. It's fun at the studio because the telephone rarely rings and we can take our favorite music CD's or movie DVD's and have some privacy. Plus, it's just something different.

Listening studio in π Speakers warehouse

It's a small cozy little room, and the acoustics aren't perfect but it's comfortable. I suppose it's good for an example of what the speakers sound like in an average small room, without any treatments. So since that's where most people put their loudspeakers, I suppose that's OK. Besides, there's a refridgerator, a microwave and plenty of "goodies." The place is just plain fun.

Having just the little speakers in there produces a surprisingly good sound. It is big and full, and delivers a lot more deep bass than I would have expected. So the room is evidently pretty absorbent, because I keep all tone controls flat and the sound is deep and full, even with just the little speakers.

Now what I'm really anxious for are the special mottled walnut tower two's that Bill did 'specially for the studio.

Studio Series two π Tower Speaker, custom built by Bill Martinelli using Mottled Walnut

Out in the warehouse, here's where we keep the woofers and stuff.

Inventory of large format drivers in π Speakers warehouse

And this is the smaller midwoofers and horn flares. Inside those brown boxes are a bunch of H290's, T2000's and Motorola KSN-1038's.

Inventory of midwoofers and horns in π Speakers warehouse

I don't keep as many of the JBL components and fine wood horns in stock, but I try to keep stock of at least one pair of everything listed on the shopping cart. In particular, the fine wood horns take a while to build, so having an inventory on-hand can save you months of waiting.

Martinelli and Edgar wood horns and JBL components

On the shelves below are a bunch of bins full of thousands of bolts and all the cable assemblies for kits. It's handy having them pre-made and stored in bins so that orders can be filled rapidly. That's why kits are usually shipped on the same day an order is placed.

Nuts, bolts, cable assemblies and piece parts

The cabinetmaker has a bunch of C&C tables for making very precise cuts, as are required for the labels and decals. These tables can be used to cut wood, plastic or metal.

Specialized cutting equipment

But most people are buying kits, and here's one that's being shipped on Monday. This particular one is for Sanjay.

Here's a kit, ready to be buttoned up and delivered

Well, I guess that's about it for this evening. Tomorrow, I gotta get some stuff done. The Olds has "fog" on the winshield, so I need to check the heater core. If I'm in there to inspect it, I might as well replace it. And I promised to model Steve Bench's active tube crossover with π compensation about a million years ago, so I better get around to doing it. But I had a fun day today, and I wanted to share it with you.

Re: A fun evening! [message #39086 is a reply to message #39084] Sun, 17 November 2002 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

Very nice set up. My compliments to the decorator. Everything is neat and orderly to get your orders processed with ease. Which driver model are the white cone's in the black cabinets?

Bill

Are those "smallest" black speakers Studio One's? [message #39088 is a reply to message #39084] Sun, 17 November 2002 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount

I am going to build them soon and was interested in their finished look. Thanks!

Dragan

Yes, that's them [message #39089 is a reply to message #39088] Sun, 17 November 2002 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You guessed it - The little black speakers are one π's, finished in black formica.
"Bleached blond" [message #39090 is a reply to message #39086] Sun, 17 November 2002 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The little one π's use the Alpha 8's, same as everyone else's. But they had been sitting "face up" in the back of my 928's for years, so they became sun bleached. Perhaps I should replace them for display, but the color is uniform and to tell the truth, it looks good that way.
Re: A fun evening! [message #39094 is a reply to message #39084] Sun, 17 November 2002 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
wayne, it wasn't necessary to remove the empty beer cases for the photo's. nice tidy shop by the way!

cheers,

george
music is best enjoyed with a good steak, vintage cabernet and a fat cigar.

I was under the impression that.... [message #39097 is a reply to message #39084] Mon, 18 November 2002 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscarl is currently offline  Oscarl
Chancellor
...the soundroom has a bar with a big box of fat cigars....Now why would I think that?????
Re: Man I hope I can get my 2pis to end up like those!!! [message #39099 is a reply to message #39084] Mon, 18 November 2002 07:08 Go to previous message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
http://www.pispeakers.com/Tower_two_Pi.jpg

Wow, now that is some amazing woodwork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys I can comment, that is a fun little room! We played the matrix Lobby scene in their and wow, the bullets sounded like they were live!

I bet its 10x better with all the nice furniture in their now!!! :-)

P.S. Are those studio 2pi's in the room right now?

Previous Topic: Anyone used the Selenium D3300TI comp. driver?
Next Topic: Wayne - Tower 2 Pi Question?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 01:35:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio