Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Narrow front baffle on 4Pi's
Narrow front baffle on 4Pi's [message #38980] Fri, 08 November 2002 23:16 Go to next message
dcole07 is currently offline  dcole07
Esquire
Hi Wayne and others,
After hearing a pair of Thermionic 3Pi's a while ago I am very interested in building a pair of these or the Theater 4's for myself. My only problem is that the wall space I have for stereo equipment is limited length wise in the room. I was wondering about using a narrower front baffle and compensating by making the speaker taller. Can you recomend guidelines for what would be the best compromise? For me the narrower the better, but of course the main objective in making them is to build a great sounding speaker and I don't want to lose that by using a poorly designed box. Otherwise I may just go with the 2Pi towers which I haven't heard personally... how would they compare with the Thermionic 3Pi's? (I would be using the speakers primarily with an OTL tube amp but I also like to play with PP and SE designs so compatibility is an issue).
Thanks for all the wonderfully simple and flexible designs Wayne, they are a blessing for the budding DIYer.
Doug
Re: Narrow front baffle on 4Pi's [message #38982 is a reply to message #38980] Sat, 09 November 2002 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
A couple other people have done that too. The main thing to be concerned with is internal standing waves. Helmholtz resonation is what's used to tune the box, and that's determined solely by box volume and port size. But standing waves line up inside the cabinet at certain frequencies depending on cabinet dimensions. Internal damping material helps, but it is best to avoid cabinets and driver/port geometries that put the port on a pressure node within the passband. It will change cabinet tuning, possibly creating peaks and notches at x/4 pipe modes.
Re: Me and Mitch made narrow baffle 4pi's too!!! [message #39070 is a reply to message #38982] Thu, 14 November 2002 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
Not a good picture, it was done in the construction process, but you can see they are quite narrow. Unfortunatly the cabinets are still bare MDF, perhaps over christmas break we will be able to finish them.
What's that on your finger????? [message #39077 is a reply to message #39070] Fri, 15 November 2002 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
A little speaker building mayhem?
Kelly
Re: What's that on your finger????? [message #39078 is a reply to message #39077] Fri, 15 November 2002 15:15 Go to previous message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
LOL, actually that is my friend, Mitch, we built the speakers for him. I think he got it at work, he worked at sutherlands this summer, he probably cut his finger with a boxknife or something.
Previous Topic: hearing protection
Next Topic: Speakerman57's house/museum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 01:30:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout