Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » DJ Speakers
DJ Speakers [message #38946] Tue, 05 November 2002 20:38 Go to next message
Magnumrp is currently offline  Magnumrp
Esquire
I'm considering building or buying new DJ speakers. I play only Competitive Dancesport Events in the USA. Music demands run from classical to rock n' roll. I currently have 8 Bose 802's & 4 Yamaha 18" Sub woofers. I double stack the Bose on top of the subs when I play. I use Crown power amps.

The dance organizers who hire me are quite happy with the current set-up but I know there is a better system to be had!
Competitive dance floors are at minimum 60x40, and I've played the large ones at 100x200 and could have 1,000+ dancers on them for Social Dancing. Ballroom sizes vary widely. I've played in venues with 25K sq. ft & 60' tall ceilings! Ballrooms probably average about 12-15K sq. ft.

Normally I'm scrambling to place even 2 Subs & 4 Bose 802s around the perimeter of the dance floor. They don't usually leave me much space as they sell the front row tables at a premium. Also, when the speakers are stacked they can block the view of spectators if they not positioned just right as to be out of everyone's way.

The ideal new system would be less than 28" inches tall and include a horn & woofer (maybe a tweeter too?). This would allow me to slip them underneath the end of the banquet tables that are arrayed around the edge of the dance floor. Can't be too deep as people still need to to stradle with their legs the support leg of the banquet table and slip one foot in between the table leg & the back end of the speaker. I envision something that sounds clear, but has some guts too, can be positioned on each long side (on the floor) and offset to get maximum sound coverage. Hanging speakers is possible, but it's more work & most organizers won't pay extra for it unfortunatley.

Any design ideas, component ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have time now to work on this for the next two weeks.

Sincerely,
Rick Popp
Dance Trax
e-mail: rickpopp@chartermi.net

Re: DJ Speakers [message #38947 is a reply to message #38946] Tue, 05 November 2002 21:20 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Check out Premium Series four π Speakers. I think they're just exactly what you're looking for.
Previous Topic: Martintelli vs. Metal
Next Topic: 2 Pi's: first listen
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 18:34:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout